A Horrible Truth And A Way To Handle It

Ally

''Hi Ben, sorry I couldn't come sooner, where is she?'' I ask Ben, who is sitting with his dad in our lounge.

''Ally, you came in less than four hours, stop worrying. She is resting upstairs, she said you should wake her if you're here.'' Ben nods to the upper floor. I leave my bags in the lounge, running up the stairs to my mother's room. I knock quietly before opening the door, seeing my mother lay still under the covers of her bed, eyeing the door.

''Oh you'd do anything just for me to come home.'' I smile grimly at her, sitting on the very end of her bed.

''Oh Ally, I'm so sorry I ruined your trip with Maxie.'' She smiles weakly.

''He wanted to be here, but he has training in Monaco with Jake, and Senna is home alone.'' I explain, reaching for her hand. It's very cold.

''Mom, what's going on? Please tell me.'' I plead, and I see the sadness pooling in my mother's eyes.

''Oh honey, it's really not that bad, it's a body thing.'' She shrugs, and I roll my eyes.

''Tell me, please. Ben and Dr Grey are also worried.'' I say, and she sighs in defeat.

''It seems that a little bit of cancer has found it's way into your old mum's body.'' My mother smiles sadly.

Suddenly, my whole world stops dead, and I'm trapped in this horrible moment. Tears spill from my eyes as I stare at the mother I love so much. The only family I have left. I force myself to put on a smile, to try and be strong and positive in this situation.

''We'll be okay mum, me and you. We will get you treatment, and we will fight this together, like Carlings do.'' I squeeze her hand sympathetically. Her smile fades, tears now streaming down her ckeeks.

''Ally, it's terminal my love. Mummy is not getting better.'' She says, and I start to sob, hugging her against me. How could this have happened. There were no signs, my mother was in perfect health. This is all just a sick an twisted dream, and we were the victims of this cruel joke.

''What cancer is it...'' I sniffle, wiping my tears.

''It's ovarian, the silent cancer. That's why I didn't suspect anything, the signs weren't there.'' My mom whispers, trembling. I close my eyes, trying to take this in.

''How long?'' I ask, sobs escaping my chest.

''Six weeks, honey.'' She answers, crying openly now. We both let go, letting the emotions engulf us, holding each other, admitting the fears we both have. We lay like that until our tears run out, and our throats are raw from crying.

''Should I tell Ben and Dr Grey?'' I ask, stroking my mum's arm.

''Yes, and tell Max, but no one else just yet. We have to sort out some things in the next few weeks.'' She tries to smile, failing miserably.

''I'll make us some tea, you should rest.'' I say, getting up and trying to compose myself. I walk down to the lounge, finding the boys just as I have left them. When I see Ben, I start crying again, falling into his arms.

''It's cancer. She's dying.'' I sob against his chest, and I feel the heavy silence settling in the room. After a while, Dr Grey gives me a hug, asking if there is anyone the should inform.

''She said I should only tell you first, until the legalities are finished. She only has six weeks...'' I trail off, words getting lost in my thoughts.

''Let me make you a cup of tea.'' Ben says, walking to the kitchen. I remember Max, and I walk to the study to phone him. His phone rings for a few seconds before he picks up.

''Ally?'' His worried voice cuts through me. I can't answer him.

''Baby, please talk to me...'' He pleads, and I break down.

''She has cancer Max, my mom is dying.'' I whisper, feeling my heart tear. Moments of silence follow, before Max speaks up.

''Ally, I'm so sorry...'' His voice breaks.

''Should I come over?'' He asks carefully.

''No, my mum and I have to sort some things out, she only has six weeks Max... Six weeks knowing that you're dying.'' I sigh, wiping the ever present tears away.

''I understand. Is there anything I can help you with?'' He asks with his concerned voice.

''Don't let Senna die. I'll let you know, but please focus on your training, the season starts in a month.'' I try to act brave.

''I don't care, I care about you.'' He sighs.

''I know. But this is something I have to do on my own. I'll let you know, but right now I have to go. We will speak soon. I love you.'' I hang up before he can answer, throwing my phone across the room. I walk back to the lounge, trying to smile when I see Ben struggling with the tea.

''I'll take this one up to my mum, you two don't have to stay here.'' I say, and Dr Grey smiles at me.

''Well check up on the two of you everyday. Call us if you need anything, or a shoulder to cry on.'' He rests his hand on my shoulder.

''You're like a daughter to me, I will be here for you through this, we both will.'' He comments, before saying goodbye, and going home.

I finish the tea, taking a tray with cookies up to my mum. Her TV is muted, but I recognize Come Dine With Me playing on the screen.

''Now that I'm dying, I might as well watch bad British TV.'' She says, making space for me on the bed. I'm  shocked at her comment.

''Are we even allowed to joke about death?'' I ask, pouring her tea.

''How else are we going to survive this? We will take this with humor, one day at a time.'' My mum pipes up with a small smile.

And at that exact moment, I knew that everything would be okay. Maybe not now. Maybe not tommorow, but eventually it will.