A Bad Race And A Wrong Conversation

Max

My eyes were wide with shock as my brain tries to process what Ally just said to me.

"Say that again?" I ask, my pulse spiking. She rolls her eyes with a tiny smile.

"I said I want to marry you as soon as possible. With my whole near-death episode, I realized that now is a better time than ever!" She grins from the bed where she was laying. We brought her home to Monaco, but still have her on a IV drip with constant care of a nurse.

"A good time, except it's in the middle of my GP season, and we won't be able to go on a honeymoon. And imagine how the press will be if they catch wind of us getting married," I explain to her. She nods, her smile fading ever so little.

I sigh.

"You know I want this just as bad as you, but I want to make it the most special day of your life. I don't want you to rush it because you fear you'll lose me, I'm not going anywhere babe," I promise with a kiss on her forehead.

A little mischievous sparkle returns to her eyes.

"Okay then, let's make a deal?" She pleads me with her gray eyes.

"I'm listening..."

"We marry the Saturday of Belgian Grand Prix. You're home, all your family and friend's are there, or close... So ultimately it's the best time," She tries to convince me, and cuts me off when I try to interject.

"I'm not done yet, so we marry the Saturday, very private, very hush-hush. You finish the race as always on Sunday, and then we have half a honeymoon in the next country you race in."

I think about it for a second.

"Monza is the race after Spa. Honeymoon in Italy?" I ask, making a wide smile appear on her face.

"You think we can do it?" She asks me, her voice pure excitement. My heart almost melts when I see her like this.

"Well, I get to marry the girl of my dreams, of course I'm up for it." I chuckle while I kiss her softly.

My phone vibrates in my jean's pocket, most probably a text from Christian's assistent reminding me of our meeting.

"I have to go to a meeting with Christian, but Dan is coming in... " I glance down at my watch, " in five minutes or so. Rest up, I love you!" I grin while I lean down to kiss her. She kisses me back, but winces slightly of the pain the medicine makes her feel.

"See you, Verstappen..." She waves before I dissappear through the bedroom door. Just as I close the door behind me, I let the fake smile fade from my face, replacing it with emotionless grin.

Today's race was utter bull, no pun intended.

Christian is calling me in so we can "talk about my anger" that happened after the race, but personally I want to know why I was screwed out of my podium finish.

I sigh loudly.

Tonight is going to be a long one.

************************

Daniel

When I walk into their apartment, everything was eerily silent. The young nurse was sitting in the lounge, paging through a magazine with Max's face on it.

"Hey," I whisper while waving at her, "how is she doing today?" 

The nurse smiles politely, closing the magazine.

"She's a lot better, but we are keeping her on the IV drip, for the sake of the babies. But maybe in a week or so, she won't need the drip. But she'd still be on bed rest."