A Complication And A Phone Call

Max

"I'm not sure I understand?" Ally's nervous voice echoes through the room.

"Well, to clarify the situation, because of the earlier trauma to your abdomen following the... Stabbing incident... You cannot give birth naturally. We will have to do a cesarean section."

The doctor speaks in a calm manner, but it leaves Ally with a wild expression. I clear my throat, trying to save the situation.

"Can we have two seconds, doctor? Just so we can discuss this... As a family," I add, gripping Ally's small hand. He nods, promptly walking out the door, closing it behind him.

"How do we feel about this?" I ask softly while sitting down next to my girl. She's still laying down, her eyes staring up at the white ceiling, looking anywhere but my eyes.

"Ally..." I insist, causing her to roll her eyes.

"Max, I feel this is my fault. I didn't want to do a C section because it has unnecessary complications that could happen. But if it's the only way, then I'll just have to deal with it," She exclaims, angrily shaking her hands for emphasis causing me to break out in a smile.

"Excuse me, do you find the situation funny?!" Ally growls, making me force my smile down.

"Well no, but this does leave us with a decision to make," I answer, putting my serious voice forward.

"Okay so theoretically speaking we don't have a decision, it has been made for us. It's C section or my death," Ally sighs, closing her tired eyes with her hands.

"So the decision we make is whether to be bitter about it or accept it," She continues solemnly.

"Well I don't know about you, but I choose to accept it, because I don't want to be bitter for another two months. Do you?" I ask her nonchalantly, trying my best at reverse-psycology.

"Are you trying to say that I have been bitter for the past seven months?!" She exclaims, anger bound in her eyes.

Oh boy.

I knew Ally, and I knew the extent of her emotions. This was her angry face, and I sure as hell knew better than to try and fight her on this one...

"You know sweetheart, you're right. You're absolutely right, I'm sorry I said that, I didn't mean it. I think it's time we go home now so that we can rest, you know? We've been so busy, and of course you have been so terribly busy with planning the wedding..." I try to lure her in, away from her anger.

"You're right. I'm just tired... Call the doctor back in so that we can just go home," I finally gives in. On the outside I was still serious, but on the inside I was smiling.

*************************
"The fact that you call it Ally-duty is already mean mate," Daniel's condescending voice sounds from the balcony.

"Stop saying it like that! I just asked you to stay with her tonight while I have training, you know I still have duties and you already did your training this morning," I point out, leaving him with nothing to say.

"Fine, but then you're not allowed to complain when you get back that I spoil her to much," he argues, a grin spread wide on his face. If he wasn't my teammate, I would have probably kicked him down the balcony already.

"I just find it funny how you guys talk about me, making me sound like a pet dog or something," Ally comments from the hallway, making both of us look in her direction.

"Well I don't call you Ally-cat for nothing, right?" Daniel jokes, making Ally giggle like a small girl. A pang of jealousy hits me square in the stomach, but I keep it in by breathing deeply. She's mine, she chose me. They're just friends.

"And on this note, I'm leaving for training with Jake. Don't do anything I won't do kids," I chide them jokingly, grabbing the hefty gym bag from the floor.

"So we can't have a social life of any kind?" Daniel fires, punching me on the shoulder as I pass him.

"Ha-ha-ha. So funny. Dying of laughter," I mock him. "Take care of my fiance, and keep the junk food to the minimum!" I instruct strictly while heading to the front door. I grab my Aston Martin's keys, opting for the stairs rather than the elevator. I skip down them two-two, getting to parking lot in no time. Starting up my new car, I smile at the loud purr of the engine, pulling out of the lot at a fast pace.

The streetlights pass quickly, almost as quick as the sunlight fading on the horizon. When I glance out to the harbor, I spot a little family playing on the harbor walls. The dad was swinging the little boy around in his arms, while the mom was capturing the moment with her camera. They look so happy.

Will Ally and I be this happy?

No, rephrase. How will parenthood change me and Ally? Will I automatically change into the type of man my dad was with us, and will Ally be like my mom? Because if that's the case, I'm going to do everything in my power to change.

As I pull into the gym lot, my phone's screen lights up as Christian calls me.

"Yes boss?" I answer jokingly, grabbing my gym bag from the front seat.

"Good evening Max, do you have a minute?" He asks, but doesn't wait for my answer.

"I know you were counting on summer break with Ally, but we really need you and Daniel for some sim work at The Factory," he informs me. My head starts spinning while he speaks to me.

"What do you mean? Christian it's almost her due date!" I exclaim frustrated.

"Max, let's just say this sim work could change the standings of the teams. Just think about it, I'll call again tomorrow. Good luck with training."

He hangs up, leaving me absolutely speechless. What the hell?! Did Christian just threaten me?

What do I do now, chose a promotion or my fiance?