A Doctor And A Home

Ally

My eyelids flutter open really slowly, my vision still blurry. A stab of pain hits me, and I wince, shutting my eyes tightly.

"Oh god, have I died?" I whisper to myself, resting my hand on what feels like bandages on my side.

"You haven't died yet, but you came pretty close." I hear a male voice chuckle, and I try to focus my eyes on a face looming above mine.

"Max." I whisper softly, trying to smile groggily.

"It's me, love. How are you feeling?" He asks softly, stroking my cheek.

How am I feeling? I feel a small stab of pain, and I wince again. I feel pain. I feel sore and tired.

Suddenly, it all comes rushing back to me. Mila, the attack, the knife in my side.

The baby.

"Max, what happened? The baby... Is the baby..." I start, but Max cuts me off, nodding his head.

"It's okay Ally, the doctor said both of you will be fine. Just a deep cut. You and our baby are safe." He grins, and my heart rate returns to normal. I rest my head onto the pillow just as Daniel bursts through the door.

"Allison Carling, never do that again!" He scolds with a wide grin on his face, causing me to smile.

"I'm sorry, I'll try to get stabbed less often." I joke, but Max's unsmiling face tells me it's not funny.

"What did they do to Mila?" I ask quietly and both the boys fall silent.

"Well according to the police, she has to get a full psychological evaluation, but they can charge her on attempted murder. But they reckon she's lost it, so she'll be locked in some mad house." Max answers, and I nod my head, taking it all in. He squeezes my hand, and I smile up at him.

"Okay so how long do I still have to be here?" I sigh, causing a jolt of pain up my side.

"Good Afternoon Miss Carling, I'm doctor Thierry." A doctor says as he walks into my room, right on cue.

"I trust your boyfriend has told you most of what you need to know?" He asks, winking at Max.

"Almost, doctor. How long do I have to be here?" I ask, hoping it won't be long. He picks up a folder, checking some papers and graphs.

"Well, your stats seem normal, and the baby is also stable, so you can leave today. But you're on bed rest for a week. No hard work, no lifting heavy things, just rest. And also, you shouldn't breathe or sigh to hard, you'll split your sutures." He says, finishing it off with a smile.

"Guys, pack my stuff before they change their minds!" I joke, and the doctor lets out a deep laugh. He shakes hands with Max and disappears into the hallway.

"I'm serious though, I miss my dogs. Let's go home?" I plead, giving Max the Puppy-dog eyes.

"Fine, but only if you promise two follow the doctor's instructions. Otherwise Dan will bring you back." Max says, leaving Dan gawking.

"Hey why me?" He asks, causing us all to laugh.

******************

"Can I get you anything?" Max asks for the umpteenth time, and I throw him with a pillow, causing a jabbing pain in my side.

"Max I'm fine, I'm not paralysed. I will tell you if I need anything." I roll my eyes, and he blushes.

"Well excuse me for being worried." He scoffs.

"You're excused." I glare a him, and he chuckles.

"Maybe I should give you more painkillers, it makes you less grumpy." He jokes as he slides in next to me on the couch. I rest my head on his shoulder, closing my eyes. I almost fell asleep, but Max's phone started buzzing loudly, causing me to jump.

"It's my dad." Max says before he answers the phone, putting it on loud speaker.

"Hi dad." Max greets friendly.

"Hello son, how's Ally? Is she better?" Jos immediately asks, causing me to smile a little.

"She's fine, and the baby is fine. The doctors were excellent, and we are already back home." Max informs him through the phone.

"That's great. We were really worried about her, and Blue Jaye was afraid she won't be an aunt anymore." Jos jokes, causing Max to chuckle.

"No, she's fine, and she'll be in Melbourne so you guys will see her there." Max says while looking at me.

"Okay Max, send her our regards." Jos says, and hangs up. I look at Max, slowly shaking my head.

"Melbourne?" I ask incredulously. "We haven't talked about that yet." I point out, but he cuts me off.

"Listen lady, if you thought I'm going to let you stay here alone recovering from an almost fatal injury, you're mistaken." He says, causing me to giggle.

"Besides, you haven't been to one of my races, now is the perfect time. And I want you there. Please?" He pleads, taking both of my hands into his. I stay silent for a few seconds, just staring right at him.

"Fine." I say simply. His whole face lights up, and he grins from ear to ear.

"Are you serious?" He asks. I nod, rolling my eyes.

"Ofcourse, I didn't learn all that racing stuff for nothing." I say, leaning over to kiss his cheek.

"But then you need to take this bedrest thing seriously, otherwise you can't go." Max says, a sense of responsibility edging in his voice.

"Yes sir, of course sir." I joke, causing him to laugh.

"I'm serious. You're my world, and I can't let anything happen to you, or this tiny miracle inside of you." He grins, resting his hand on my stomach.

"Did we not talk about the hand on the stomach thing." I ask him, shaking my head.

"You just try and stop me." He says, leaning in to kiss me.