An Argument And A Nursery

Max

I mentally sigh, not daring to give Ally cause to become even more aggravated.

"Max, I am serious as hell. There is no way I'm letting you 'race up' the nursery!" She exclaims, throwing a paint sample book at my chest, which I catch with a swift movement of my wrist.

"Ally, I'm not saying the whole nursery, I'm just saying some things to root them..." I suggest, only to receive slaps across my shoulder from Ally. She looks so angry, my best move is probably to just stay silent.

"Max, did your parents push you into karting?" She asks suddenly, her gray eyes staring me down.

"That's not a fair question, racing was the only thing my parents actively did," I answer truthfully, earning a smirk from Ally.

"So you felt you should follow in their footsteps because 'it's in your blood' and all that?"

I think about it for a few seconds.

"Well, in essence yes."

She rolls her eyes, walking to the other side of the room.

"And you think our kids are going to choose their own individual path with all your racing stuff around them, subconsciously reminding them that racing is in their blood?"  She asks nonchalantly, acting as if she is wiping off dust from the windowsill.

She makes such a damn good point.

"Well I can't hide the fact that I'm a racing driver now can I?" I protest, maybe a little too loudly.

She sighs, closing her eyes for just a few seconds.

"Max, I don't want that. I want them to know what an amazing and talented driver you are. I want them to be as proud of you as I am, but I don't want them to feel obligated to go into racing. An that's why I am banning any racing related items from the nursery. You can buy them all the karts in the world, but it stays out of their room, okay?"

She ends her sentence as if it's a question, but I'm smart enough to know there is no further discussion.

"I will buy them all the racing stuff in the world, and it won't be in their room, I promise," I say softly while pulling her closer to me. I lean down, kissing her ever so softly, feeling her warm lips beneath mine. My heart goes in overdrive, beating out of time, and out of my chest. Kissing her still feels like the first time every time.

Her hands slip under my shirt, her nails tracing my back muscles softly. I cup her face, pulling away from our kiss.

"We have time to make up later, right now we have to focus on the nursery..." I whisper while kissing Ally just below her ear, causing her to hold her breath.

"I know... We just have this weekend to finalize and order everything," She groans, her face a look of disdain. She pulls away from my embrace, walking to the furthest wall where we painted 13 different color samples. Carefully, she traces her fingers over every color, apparently deep in thought.

We just have this weekend to finalize everything.

It's always like this. We only have the weekends to bond a do the things we have to. Is it always going to be like this?

My heart hurts when I see how Ally is already accustomed to doing everything by herself, even when I am home. I can't blame her, I leave her no choice...

We knew the future isn't going to be easy, and we knew that being away from home was  going to be the norm, but still... This means almost a lifetime of Ally having to make important choices on her own, doing the important stuff alone. That's not right.

I walk over to her, wrapping my arms around her shoulders.

"Which color do you like, Verstappen?" She asks softly, resting her hands on my arms. We stare at the colors in silence, weighing out all the options

"You want my honest opinion?" I ask daringly.

"If you suggest we split the room in two and paint it blue and pink, I don't want to hear it," She teases, causing me to break out a grin.

"No, that's not it at all. I think we should keep the white walls, keep it as neutral as possible," I confess.

"Since when are you pro-neutral?" She asks, clearly surprised.

"Since you came into my life and made me less ignorant," I tease, and we both chuckle softly.

"But also, if not a racing theme, can we maybe incorporate the zoo? Or the jungle?" I ask her, trying not to sound too excited. She turns around, facing me with her all-knowing smile.

"You wanted a zoo room when you were younger, but you got racing theme instead?"

"Well technically, I wasn't displeased with my racing room, my friends thought I was the coolest ever," I try to defend myself.

"What friends?!" Ally sputters out, grinning devilishly.

"I am telling Dave you said that!" I threaten, and she just lift her hands up.

"Fine, I'll see if we can do the zoo theme. Knowing your sponsors, you should just mention it on your instagram and everyone will be sending products to put in the nursery," Ally says at last, giving my hand a squeeze.

"Thank you for understanding my problem with the whole racing thing..." She apologizes softly.

"Hey babe, don't worry about it. But you can't expect me to not hope that both of them will also want to race, because I really do. But I promise I won't pressure them into anything. Ever," I promise, kissing the top of Ally's head.

"Thanks you love. You're going to be the best dad ever."

I grin.

"You think so?"

"Oh, I know so," She answers with a smile.