The Surprise And The Question

Ally

This weekend's race at Sochi didn't go the way Max wanted it. Both he and Daniel are on their way back, and both of them are in bad moods. This can't be good...

I unfold the little piece of paper for what seems like the hundredth time. It's a note that Max left me the morning he departed for Sochi.

My sweetheart
I wish you could come with me to Sochi, but you're definitely
coming to the Spanish gp.
To make up for lost time, I arranged a late
dinner for us on Sunday, just to spend some time together.

I miss you already x

Max

He said that the plane will arrive at eight, so we will probably have dinner at nine or so. I bite my lower lip as I sit down on our bed, staring at my open wardrobe. I really hope Max is in a better mood by the time he gets home, otherwise I feel like it's best to just cancel the whole dinner and chill at home. But until I'm sure, I have to get ready.

I walk up to my closet, and grab three outfits that I think would be suitable. First is a navy blue off shoulder dress with lace and paisley prints. Perhaps a little too informal.

Second is a ballet pink dress with a open back. Even though I love it, it's too "night-club" for a dinner.

The last one is my favorite. It's a faded maroon dress, with four braided straps running over the open back, with silver accessories on the halterneck strap. Maybe I can wear the charm bracelet that Max gave me with this... He'd love it.

I smile at the thought of him, smiling and being proud that I am his girlfriend.

But for him to be proud, I need to actually look good, and right now I just look fat. I release my curly hair from the current braid it's in, letting it cascade down my shoulder and back. I'm not good at make up, so I only apply the bare minimum to hide the bad things. And nude lipstick is my life, and probably the only shade I own... Am I even a real girl?

I shrug off the thought and replace it with trying to choose a color to paint my nails, something I don't do very often.

I choose a very dark maroon that looks more black than maroon. I quickly apply it on all my nails, waving my hands in the air like a crazy person just to get them dry. Just as I slip on my simple black stilettos, I hear the front door being unlocked.

"Love, I'm home!" I hear Max's beautiful voice echo through the empty living room. I run out of our bathroom, down the hallway just to jump into his arms, wrapping my legs around his waist. He wraps his arms tightly around me, resting his head in the crook of my neck.

"I missed you so much," I smile sweetly at him. He chuckles and let's me down slowly until I'm standing again.

"You look amazing, there are no words," he says, staring at me.

"I'm sure there are, you just don't know them in English," I joke, causing him to blush. He looks at his watch.

"It's only 8 o'clock now, let me quickly shower and dress, then we can leave for the dinner," he says smugly.

"Where are we going?"

"I can't tell you..."

Suddenly his eyes twinkle with mischief.

"Is it a secret?"

"It's a secret."

And with a kiss on my forehead, he disappears to the bathroom.

*********************

"Remind me why I am blindfolded?" I ask, trying my best not to fall over. I can hear the ocean, and Max made me take off my shoes so I can walk barefoot on the sand.

"Cause it's a secret. Okay, stop right here. Don't move or take off the blindfold, okay? If the song starts playing, you can take off the blindfold. No cheating."

All of a sudden his hands are off my arms, and I can hear him walking away. What the hell?!

My heart begins to pound in my chest as I think of myself standing alone in the middle of nowhere. Even though it was only seconds, I felt like I was standing there for hours. Suddenly I could hear the sounds of a gorgeous, delicate piano solo. I recognize the song as it's my favorite love song of all time. Turning Page by Sleeping At Last. I almost rip off the blindfold off, trying to focus my eyes on the scene before me.

In the middle of the white sand dune, there's a guy standing with about three dozen wine red roses. My legs automatically carry me towards him, and when he hands me the roses, I notice the red bull logo on his shirt. The things Max makes Red Bull do...

Behind him is a giant arrow pointing to the other side of the dune. I quickly climb the steep dune, almost falling over the peak. As I stumble down the other side, another crew member is standing with Senna and Picasso. He hands me the leashes, and I notice the leashes had hearts all over them. Max is going all out on this date, did I forget our anniversary?!

I take the leashes in one hand, and the roses in the other, walking in the direction that the next arrow was pointing in. While I'm walking, I sing along to the lyrics of the song, feeling utterly in love. When I round the corner, the beach comes into view, and it was empty.

Well, almost.

There Max was, standing in the middle of a giant candle heart, smiling at me and the dogs. There was a blanket and a picnic basket on the sand next to him, and the whole image looked so perfect. It was dusk now, and the candles were illuminating the area Max was standing in.

I dared to walk closer.

"All this trouble for a girl like me?" I ask, smiling at Max before I clip the dogs' leashes off so they can run around.

"A girl like you deserves even more than this, Ally. I really don't deserve something as wonderful as you," he grins while holding his hand out to me. I take it, and he pulls me close to him.

"You know how long we have been together?" He asks suddenly while we slow dance to the music playing softly in the background.

"Almost a year and three months right?" I ask, and he nods with a grin.

He stops dancing, and looks down at me with a expression I have never seen before.

"Ally, that year and three months have been the best of my whole life. And yes, I know I haven't lived that long, but it feels like I've known you all my life. I can't imagine waking up without seeing your pretty face next to me. I can't even fathom a day where there is no laughing at your lame jokes and talking about what life will be like one day."

"Max..." I start, but he cuts me off.

"No, let me finish. Ally, I always thought racing was my one true love, the only one that made me feel like I was someone. But I was wrong. You are the love of my life, you are the one that makes me want to better. And I can't tell you how much I love you for that. But I can show you."

My breath hitches in my throat.

"Allison Carling, would you do me the honor of being my wife?"