A Tattoo And Eternal Sadness

Ally

''Only white daisies with wild grass. It reminds me of the 60's.'' My mum coughs, and I scribble it down.

''Should we offer weed before the ceremony?'' I ask, and she laughs.

''Wouldn't that be a funny funeral.'' She smiles, rubbing her stomach. My heart still breaks when she says that word. Here we both are, planning her funeral... This isn't right.

''Are my jokes too much?'' She whispers, and I look down at her, nodding.

''I'm coping, you should try it sometime.'' She giggles and I just shake my head.

''Oh of course, if anyone shows up in black, kick them out. My funeral will not be a mourning, but a celebration of my life.'' She smiles broadly, and I write that down too.

''That about covers it mum. Now stop worrying about the formal stuff. We still have to do the things on your new bucketlist.'' I reach for the piece of paper with her list on it.

''I know what I want to do today...'' She trails off, mischievous smile plastered on her face.

''Oh god, not that face...'' I say, also smiling.

*****************************

''Are you sure about this, mum?'' I say, as I read the name of the building we're standing in front of. Good Things Tattoo Co.

''I'm sure that I've waited too long to get one. Let's go.'' She says, and I help her into the shop. Behind the counter is a young girl, both arms covered in gorgeous tattoos. She smiles at us.

''How can I help?'' She asks me, and my mother coughs lightly.

''Actually, it's for me. I want a tattoo!'' She exclaims, and the young girl's face lights up.

''Ofcourse ma'am, let's get you comforable.'' She leads my mum to a chair, and motions for her to sit down.

''So do you have something in mind?'' The girl, whose name is Letitia, asks.

''Yes, just two names on my shoulder. Martin and Allison.'' She answers, and I feel my heart break.

''No problem, let me just unpack my kit, then we can start.'' Letitia smiles.

''Mum...'' I trail off, and she takes my hand in hers.

''The two loves of my life. It's so I'll always have you close.'' She smiles, and I feel a tear run down my cheek. I wipe I away, just as Letitia returns.

''Let's get started, it will only be 30 minutes or so.'' She explains, whilst marking the spot where the tattoo will be.

''I'll be right back, I'm just going to pay.'' I say smiling at my mom.

I walk to the counter, seeing an older man looking towards my mum.

''She's really brave.'' He comments, making me look up at him.

''Pardon me?'' I ask, looking confused.

''Your mum. She's getting a tat before it's too late?'' He asks, and I nod my head.

''My wife did the same, she had breast cancer.''

''Ovarian.'' I mumble, giving him the cash. He rings it up, and looks back at me.

''You will survive this. The first bit is really lousy, but after the storm, everything blooms.'' He says, before turning and disappearing through a door. I smile, heading back to the room where my mom is receiving her first tattoo. I take her hand, and she squeezes it hard.