A Qualification And A Honey Badger

Ally

I've been in Red Bull's garage the whole day, watching Max's last practice and his qualifying laps. Jos and Victoria looked so into it, I felt bad not knowing so much about racing, and quite honestly, the noise was deafening.

Jos looked impressed with Max's lap times, but mumbled to Victoria atleast twice that the car was under-performing. I nodded at the right times to seem educated about the whole thing, but I mainly just kept to myself, feeling quite lost.

When Max boxed his car, Jos immediately walked over to him. Christian, Red Bull's team principal, joined them and the three men started talking tactics for race day.

"You okay?" Victoria asks warily, squeezing my arm.

"Oh, uhh... I'm fine, I'm just new to this," I blush, biting my lip.

"You'll get used to it, this is your first time at a race and you're handling it well," Victoria tries to make me feel better, but it doesn't work.

"It's just... I'm not a car girl. I can't speak 'car', and I'm afraid that Max wants someone who can share his talent with him," I ramble, feeling tears forming in my eyes.

"You're crazy, Als. Max loves you especially because you're not a car girl. He chose you because you are the only slow-paced thing in his fast life. He loves that he doesn't have to speak 'car' around you," Victoria says sincerely, wiping a stray tear from my cheek.

"Why are you so grown up for your age," I complain, grinning at her. She giggles, giving a little hair flip.

"I'm just special." We both chuckle, just as Jos walks back towards us.

I feel a heavy hand on my shoulder, and I spin around to see Daniel grinning down at me. He has already changed out of his race gear, and his eyes are filled with sadness.

"What are you guys up to tonight?" He asks, and my eyes wander back to Max who is conversing with his engineer.

"Well tomorrow is race day, so we'll just be in our room?" I say, causing Daniel to grin even wider.

"Can we play monopoly? I've been craving to play a boardgame," Daniel pleads which causes me to chuckle.

"You're sure you're 26?" I ask him with a raised eyebrow. He puts his hand over his heart, narrowing his eyes.

"I'll see you around 7?" He asks with a hopeful edge in his voice.

"Sure, I'll bring Max over to your room. As long as you have snacks..." I trail off, and he nods excitedly.

"See ya Ally-cat," He yells over his shoulder before disappearing through the door. I sigh audibly just as Max walks up next to me.

"I don't know how to tell him in race-language that everything will be okay," I say quietly, biting my lip. Max rests his hand on my waist, looking at me intently.

"He knows this happens. It's just hard because it's home ground, and he looked forward to please his home fans," Max reassures me, kissing the side of my head. I smile up at him, still worried about Dan.

"We should probably get going to the Langham Hotel, Dan asked us to have game night in his room," I tell Max but he only nods absentmindedly.

"Hoi, earth to Verstappen!" I exclaim while I snap my fingers in front of his eyes. "Where are your thoughts heading?"  I ask as we walk towards the changing room.

"To the podium my love," he smiles cheekily before pulling me into the room with him.

He peels his race suit off and I hand him a pair of shorts. He quickly pulls them on, stripping off his shirt, leaving him bare chested.

"Stop staring at me," he chuckles under his breath. I tear my gaze away, blushing profoundly.

"You're just so damn perfect and I'm just lucky to have you," I try to explain, causing him to blush.

"Well that makes two of us..." he smiles while pulling me tight against his warm chest. I rest my head on his shoulders with his arms wrapped securely around me.

"You should probably get dressed. Your dad would flip if he finds us here," I say lightly, leaving a trail of kisses along his right collarbone. He lifts my chin up with his free hand, planting a kiss full on my lips.

"Do you want to go to the hotel yet? I still have to talk to Christian about tomorrow, it might take a while," Max asks me, pulling the t-shirt roughly over his head.

"Yeah, I think so. I'm really exhausted from trying to understand what's happening around me. An I also want to check in with Dan," I say while grabbing my satchel and my phone. He throws me the car keys and I kiss him on his cheek.

"Remember, game night. 7pm sharp," I remind him before slipping through the door, heading for the parking lot. The hotel isn't far away, and the drive only takes about 5 minutes.

The valet takes the keys from me as I enter the hotel, straight on my way to Dan's room. I knocked softly on the door, waiting a few seconds before trying again. I hear a shuffle from inside, and then Daniel's face appears in the doorway, a small smile on his lips.

"You busy?" I ask cautiously.

"No, just wallowing in self-pity and all that. Please come in," he chuckles as he opens the door for me to slip into the room. I put my bag down, joining the aussie on the couch in his lounge.

"You know, I don't find myself in the barrier that often. And when I do, I beat myself up about it," he sighs, laying back against the couch to stare up at the ceiling. I tuck my legs in under me, sitting cross-legged next to him.

"But it happens. So what you'll be in P15? You are going to overtake those bastards and make Australia proud!" I try to give a pep talk, earning a grin from him.

"You should have heard the crowd when you slid off track, it was a huge collective sigh," I say nonchalantly. He turns his head towards me, a sparkle in his mahogany eyes.

"Really?"

"Really."

He turns his eyes back towards the ceiling, an unmissable grin plastered all over his face. I rest my head or his shoulder, staring up at the ceiling with him.

"So what are we playing tonight?" I ask curiously, still staring up.

"Monopoly. The only thing where we can't crash into barriers or crash a car," he jokes, causing me to laugh loudly.

"I'll have you know I'm a master at Monopoly. Just don't crash into my houses," I say jokingly. Daniel smiles, but says nothing.

"Feeling better?"

"A bit. Thanks for checking up on me," he says, squeezing my hand.

"Of course, you're our Smiling Honey Badger. Can't have you being sad and glum," I wink at him just as a knock sounds from the door.

"The Flying Dutchman has arrived!" I exclaim, sprinting to the door.