A Lost Friend And A Birthday Plan

Max

I wake up to the sound of voices whispering in hushed tones. By the sound of it, it's Ally speaking to Mila, and I sigh softly. Sitting up in bed, I try to listen to the conversation in the room next to ours.

"Look, Mila. I get that a story has two sides, but Max is my boyfriend and I'm sorry but I believe him." Ally says, clearly tired of the conversation.

"Ally, you're making a mistake, he came on to me! He's turning you against me." Mila argues, raising her voice slightly. I can hear Ally sigh, and just for a moment I wonder if I should go there and help her.

"Mila, you need to go. I'm tired and I have to clean up before Victoria gets here. We can finish this another time." Ally instructs the other girl. A silence falls over the room, followed by a shuffle of feet. The front door slams closed, and I can hear Ally walking back to our room. I lay down again, pretending to still be vast asleep just as the door opens.

"I know you're awake." She informs me, plopping down on the bed, laying back with me.

"Wouldn't it have been awkward if I was actually still sleeping and you woke me up for no reason?" I ask without opening my eyes. Ally chuckles beside me, and I let myself smile.

"I'm sorry about Mila." I say simply, taking Ally in my arms.

"Yeah. I'm sorry too." She says against my chest. We lay in silence for a few minutes, almost falling asleep again. Ally suddenly gets up, heading to the guest room.

"I just want to get her room ready before I pick her up at the airport." She explains before disappearing through the door. Senna follows her, but Picasso stays snuggled next to my legs. I sigh, wishing I could do something to make Ally feel better.

Then it hits me.

My plan was kind of crazy, but with Victoria's help I could easily pull it off, so it has to happen in the next few days...

"You're a genius, Verstappen!" I praise myself out loud.

"Yeah they say the smart people often talk to themselves!" Ally yells from the other room, and we both laugh loudly.

I look at my watch, and almost have a mini heart attack. It's already 09:30 and Jake would be here any moment now. I grab a pair of Nike shorts with a old gray t-shirt and my puma trainers, almost throwing it on my body before stumbling out to the hallway.

I collide with Ally's slender body, sending her flying to the ground. With a thud she lands on the floor, and my hand fly to my mouth.

"Oh my gosh babe, I'm so so sorry..." I say trying to keep myself from laughing. I pull her up, and she dusts her pyjama shorts off.

"I know I'm small but try to see me down here!" She chuckles before disappearing into our room. I prepare my pre-workout shake just as Jake makes his arrival. I join him out on the balcony, and we prepare the gym equipment.

"Is Ally away with friends?" Jake asks curiously while packing the weights.

"No no, she's here. She's getting ready to pick my sister up from the airport." I smile at him and he nods. We start the workout with some warm-ups, just as Ally appeared in the doorway.

"Hi Jake, how's it going?" Ally asks cheerfully, and Jake starts smiling.

"Hey Als, good seeing you! I'm good, but I'll be even better when I start torturing this one here." He grins, pointing at me. She smiles, and looks back at me.

"I'm heading out now, where are your car keys, my love?" She asks, and I point towards the kitchen counter.

"Thanks, we'll probably be back in an hour or so. I love you!" She says, blowing me a kiss and disappearing into the kitchen. A few seconds later, I hear the front door close.

"So today we are just going to focus on your core-strenght and your balance. We're starting out with squat and lunge sequences." Jake informs me, and we get right to it.

"Ally's looking good, I was worried there for a while." Jake remarks while I continue with my exercise.

"I know, but she lost so much weight after her mom, but she looks healthy now. She's eating with my diet though, so I was surprised when she actually gained some." I say and Jake nods understandingly.

"I'm glad. She looked so frail a month or two ago."

"And even then she was the strongest person I know." I answer him, taking a break between reps. We switch to push ups, with Jake not once going easy on me.

"How long have the two of you been together?" Jake asks randomly, and I had to take a few seconds to think about it.

"It's been almost eight months now. And it's kind of scary, because it doesn't feel that way, you now?" I ask my trainer. He chuckles, leaning against the balcony railing.

"Yeah I know. That's how I felt about my Mikhaela when we were dating, and now she's my beautiful wife." He answers, getting a look of reminiscence in his eyes. I smile and continue with the sets of push ups.

"Jake, do you think it's a good idea to buy Ally a car?" I ask out of the blue, and Jake falls silent.

"What's the occasion?" He asks after thinking about it for a while.

"Well her birthday is coming up in a week, and she's turning 20, so I thought it would be special." I say simply, rolling onto my back to start with the new sets of crunches.

"What car did you have in mind?" He asks, and I start grinning.

"She doesn't like sportscars that much, she says they make her claustrophobic. So I thought something like a Range Rover." I finish, the enthusiasm dripping from my voice.

"Good choice, ladies love their Range Rovers. But what color though?" He asks, and we both think in silence.

"If you get a pink one, she'll murder you." He says after a while and I try to laugh, but my core muscles are aching from the workout.

"She loves neutral colors, so it would probably be silver or black." I say as I get up, walking over to the weights.

"Black is the best choice I think. Okay let's get these arms worked out." Jake grins, and I sigh mentally.