A Late Fight And A Labor Duty

Ally

Last night with Daniel was fun as usual. This time he chose the movie, The Best of Me. It's a real chick flick, and if I remember correctly it's based off a book written by Nicholas Sparks, so naturally someone would be crying.

It was Daniel, right at the saddest part of the movie.

"Just don't tell Max," he orders while he tries to wipe away the tears as manly as possible. With a struggle I contained my grin, handing him Kleenex every opportunity I could. Somewhere along the line I fell asleep, only waking up when Max was carrying me to the comfort of our bed.

"Ten pounds heavier and still you carry me like it's nothing," I mumble sleepily, my face tucked in the crook of his shoulder.

"Well considering you weigh almost nothing, a few pounds makes no difference," he shrugs, gently setting me down on the bed. His tone was uncomfortable, a sign that he was hiding something.

"Is everything okay?" I casually query while pulling the sheets up to my chin. He kicks off his sneakers, followed by the shedding of his shirt.

"Everything is fine sweetheart," he sighs, plopping down next to me.

"Are you lying?" I question again, looking at his tired blue eyes.

"Maybe. Maybe not."

I stayed silent, knowing he would tell me soon. It took all about ten seconds.

"Christian wants me to work during the summer break," he blurts out, causing my eyes to widen.

"The summer break?" But that's right near my due date, he can't do that Max!" I exclaim, infuriated even by the idea of it.

Max stayed eerily quiet.

"Please tell me you're not considering it?" I whisper. "Unbelievable!" 

"Look Allison, it's for a team promotion. If I do this, if I work this summer I know I could provide better for us as a family," he tries to explain.

"What type of bull is that Max?! You're a freaking millionaire, this summer break isn't going to change anything but your rank!" I yell out, knowing he already made up his mind, and nothing was going to change that.

"Sweetheart, this is my career," he tries to calm me.

"And this is your family!" I scream.

Silence follows for a brief moment.

"Well clearly your adrenaline rush is worth more than your family. I think I'll be sleeping in the guest room tonight," I say flatly, getting of the bed to walk to the door.

"Good night Max."

"Ally, please stay. I'm leaving for Hungary in the morning," he pleads.

"Well in that case goodbye. Let me know when you're safe."

I call the dogs, closing the doors promptly behind us. Picasso and Senna lies down on the fur in the guest room, leaving me to wallow in pity on the king sized bed all alone. I rest my hand on my belly, feeling frantic kicks from the babies.

"Oh I'm sorry my loves. I'm sorry you had to hear that. Mommy and daddy are just... Having trouble communicating," I lie to myself, shutting my eyes tightly and hoping sleep would come quickly.

**************************

I woke up to rays of sunlight flitting through the curtains of the guest room. The dogs were still sound asleep, no care in the world at all. I thought sleeping would take away the heavy feeling in my heart, but it just multiplied it. I feel sad and alone, and I want Max with me now...

I carefully walk to the lounge, wincing at the sharp cramps in my back. Grabbing my Macbook, I call Max on Skype while looking for some aspirin. Luckily he picks up quick.

"Hey where do you stash the aspirin?" I ask sourly.

"Wow, this conversation started differently than what I had anticipated," he says with raised eyebrows.

"Stop being a wise ass and tell me where the aspirin is," I threaten in a hushed tone.

"In the drawer beneath the espresso machine," he answers, wisely picking his battles. I quickly grab the bottle out of the drawer, popping a single aspirin in my mouth.

"Okay thank you. Any way, good morning. How's the flight?" I ask casually while preparing some breakfast.

"It's okay, how's home?"

I sigh.

"It's lonely. I wish you where here," I admit, eating a spoonful of peanut butter. This earns a small smile from Max.

"Does this mean I'm forgiven?" He asks hopefully.

"No."

The small smile disappears.

"It just means I'm accepting the decision. I can't stay mad forever, right?" I say, hoping he understands what I mean.

"I'm sorry Ally, but to make it up to you, I have a surprise for you," he grins, a hearty attempt to cheer me up.

"Is the surprise Victoria on labor duty?" I ask skeptically, wiping the smile right off his face.

"Wait, how did you know?" He asks incredulously, making me chuckle to myself.

"For some or other reason you think you can fix everything by using Victoria as mediator, " I inform him, rolling my eyes ever so slightly.

" So when will she arrive?" I ask, mentally preparing myself for not only wedding planning, but serious baby talk.

"She'll arrive in a few hours or so. She said she may bring my mom as well, they will look after you while I'm away on the break."

"You mean work," I correct him.

"My work-break," he says, winking at me.

"Well then, guess I should get ready for my uninvited invited guests," I sigh.

"Try to be nice?" He pleads with me.

"Max Emilian Verstappen, I am eight months pregnant, nice isn't an option anymore," I grin devilishly before hanging up the Skype call.

***********************

A.N

Hey all you wonderful readers, two things real quick:

Sorry for not updating that much, I finally finished my dutch language course which took up most of my time so yessssssss.

Secondly, who do you think is wrong in this Argument, Max or Ally? Lemme know.

Thanks for reading, have a nice Sunday (also commonly known as raceday amirite)