A Death And A White Light

Ally

Some people say that death is a blinding white light. A light that leads you to eternal happiness in a place of peace. Others say that death is just black. A heavy, dark eternal nothing. Just death.

My death was different.

I knew something had happened to me when I woke I'm in my old room back in London. The smell of fresh pancakes was hanging thickly in the air, making my mouth water.

Why am I here? I mentally ask myself while skipping down the stairs towards the kitchen, hoping to find some answers there.

"Good morning love! Pancakes are almost ready," a familiar baritone voice greets me.

Dad.

"I must be dreaming..." I mutter to myself as I stare at my dad who is now very much alive.

"Sweetheart," my mum's voice greets me, "I think you should sit down at the table with us..."

I was utterly shocked, and complied with what she asked me. I sat across from them, and my mum held my dad's hand just the way she did when they have something serious to say.

"Ally, this isn't a dream. You're with us now..."

Their eyes were focused on my face, waiting for my reaction.

"I'm dead?"

The words rolled heavily off my tongue.

"Yes, love."

My hands fly down to my stomach, immediately feeling the absence of my baby bump. I wasn't carrying my two miracles anymore. And my ring finger was missing my engagement ring...

"This can't be. The can't BE! I was supposed to get married, have my beautiful twins, build a life with Max!" I yell out, throwing a clean white plate and and floor, watching it scatter on the floor.

My parents' faces turned ashes, but they didn't move.

"That's not normal..." My mum whispers to my dad, and he nods while staring at me.

"Emma, her heart is still beating. Do you hear it?" My dad says to my mom, and her eyes widen.

"What do you mean this isn't normal?!"

"If you're dead, you don't show as much emotion as you just did. And the fact that your heart is still beating means you're not dead. Well not completely," my mum explains in her calm voice.

"I there a chance I can go back... You know, back to... The living?" I ask awkwardly, not knowing how to phrase it.

"Well, there's only one way to do that. You need to go back to a place that meant a lot to you in your life. Those memories will help you find your way."

I think about my dad's words for a few seconds before answering him.

"Where should I go?!" I sigh loudly, but when I turn around to my parents, their seats are empty. I was alone in the dining room, with one word ringing in my head.

Think.

I have to figure out where the place is that means the most to me. It can't be this house, because nothing is happening... Maybe the place we picked up Senna? Or the gallery where I made my first painting as a child... It's probably some place that changed my life.

Think Ally, think!

Suddenly, my vision starts to blur- or at least that's what it feels like. The room warps around me, and it feels like I'm falling, plummeting into darkness.

"What is happening?!" I exclaim, barely breathing. I shut my eyes, waiting for my body to hit the bottom, but after ten seconds, nothing happens. I carefully open one eye, and my heart leaps with joy.

I'm in a park, with people all around me. Some jogging, some playing with their dogs.

In the crowd, I spot a familiar face, a girl running with her dog down the path.

It's me and Senna.

This is the day I met Max, the day my life changed, I think, as I watch the chaos that's about to unfold.

Just as the thought reaches my mind, I see Max's tall figure around the corner, blissfully unaware that his future is going to hit him like a ton of bricks. Literally. My younger self is now really close to him, and neither one of them is aware of the other.

Then it happens.

I slam into him, sending him toppling over poor Senna. My younger self gets up with a scowl, but instantly gets lost in the gorgeous blue eyes of Max.

Even from a distance, I could see the chemistry between us from the beginning. I was maybe a bit stubborn, but I think it was love at first sight.

Love at first sight.

The words echo in my head as a white light appears from the place where my younger self and Max was standing. The light was huge, beautiful, and it was inviting me in. My legs carried me as I walked towards it, confidently striding to what appears will be my death.

A few steps away, I close my eyes, readying myself for what ever journey was about to follow. The light was warm on my skin, and for a moment, I swear I could hear Max's soothing voice, whispering to me.

"If you can hear me, I love you Ally. No matter what, no matter where..."

He felt so close to me, as if he was standing right in front of me. I open my eyes, just to be greeted by his grinning face.

"How are you feeling, baby?" his voice sounds quiet close to me. 

"I'm in heaven... And I get to spend eternity with you..." I sigh happily, lifting my hand to touch his face, but just as I try it, I feel a sting in my arm.

The pain brings me out of my dreamlike state, causing panic to override my senses.

"Wha... Where am I? What's going on?!"  I stutter, trying frantically to sit up and look around at the same time. I feel a strong grip on my shoulders, and I look up to be met with Max's blue eyes.

"Ally, it's okay. You're in a hospital room. You were kidnapped, and lost a bit of blood. We almost lost you... But the doctors saved you in time..." he whispers soothingly. His voice sounded raw, as if he has been crying.

Realization kicks in.

Again I check my baby bump, still bloating out from my midriff. And my engagement ring still had a sparkling attendance on my hand.

I was alive, and back with Max.

"Should I call a doctor for you?" Max asks softly, stroking my hair ever so softly.

"Max, I need to tell you something!" I blurt out, my thoughts still a little confusing.

"That first day I met you in Holland Park, I fell in love with you. It was love at first sight, love. At first I was stubborn about admitting it, but it was. I love you." I blurt out, all at once.

Max cracks a little smile, squeezing my hand.

"The first time I laid my eyes on you, I just knew I had to make you my wife. And it's twice now that I almost lost you, and I swear I won't let anything happen to you ever again. I can't live without you," Max says, a lone tear running down his cheek.

My heart melts, and I wipe the tear off his cheek. I lay back against the pillows, still clutching his hand in mine.

I wasn't letting go again.