A gift from the gods?

a/n: requested.

+

The door slammed shut behind him. Ivar had quickly left her alone once more in their so called home. They had made it to fit their needs after getting married. It was once filled with love but their relationship had slowly crumbled. They usually ended up fighting, one fight a month most difficult and hasher than the rest.

She wanted to have his children. She wanted them to create something together that they could raise. Yet she knew it was impossible when they got married and then she was fine with it then. However she had started to get feelings towards the thought of having his child. Ivar usually yelled at her that it wasn't his fault and she knew what she signed up for when they got married.

He was right, he always was sadly. Her mind was torn as she didn't know where these feelings came from. She had never thought about having children of her own. Everyone else was talking about one day carry a mans child. That was the main reason she was fine with Ivar not being able to impregnate her. 

She had prayed to the gods they would give her a child. Yet her belly was still empty. A pout was visible on her lips as she decided to take a walk to calm down. She wouldn't probably see Ivar more today. He would probably sleep at his brothers or in the cabin in the woods.

She had no idea how long she had been walking but when she returned from the woods the sky had turned dark and torches lit up the village. Dreading to come home and finding an angry Ivar made her take a slightly longer way home through the villagers cabins.

As she walked a high pitched scream was heard and she was immediately drawn to the sound. Her eyes widen when she saw a small baby crib with a crying baby screaming. No-one was around and she looked up at the sky. The sky was calm and she looked back at the crib. With eyes filled with fascination she stood above the crib.

A satisfied feeling filled her body as she gently lifted it from the crib. She hushed it as she cradled the tiny baby in her arms. To calm the baby she started to sing a lullaby as she admired the beautiful baby in her arms. It had brown hair and light soft baby skin.

When the baby was sound asleep in her arms she looked around to see if anyone was looking for their baby but there was no one. With the baby in her arms she slowly walked back home, her eyes glued onto the baby the whole time.

Back home she closed the door behind her and sat down by the fire. She placed a finger under the babies small hand and smiled widely when she baby took a grip around her finger.

"You're such a beautiful baby, I will take good care of you," She hummed, not wanting to wake the baby. She rocked her body from side to side as she looked at the sleeping baby. It was perfect. As she sat there and admired the baby in her arms she didn't hear the commotion outside in the village.

A woman screamed in panic and fear when she saw the empty crib. People rushed outside as the newly parents panicked. A neighbor tried to calm the father and mother but they didn't listen, all the could focus on was their lost baby. People started to search, some men left for he woods to see if anyone walked in that direction.

"What's the matter?" Björn asked when he walked outside the great hall, to see why people were shouting. An old man walked up to Björn and told him about the lost baby. Gathering his brothers outside the great hall, breeding them on what happened. Aslaug had join the parents of the lost baby as she tried to comfort them, telling them that everything would be fine, the gods wouldn't hurt their baby son. Every cabin was being searched.

Y/N was sitting in her own bubble as she smiled at the now awake yet silent baby. Green eyes met hers and it warmed her heart. She couldn't believe the gods gave them a baby.

Soon the door opened, revealing Björn and Ivar. They saw Y/N with her back against the door but Ivar's heart cracked when he heard the sound of a faint baby noises. He closed his eyes and dipped his head down. Björn's once angry face broke when he realized what had happened. Björn turned to his brother and said that he needed to speak to his wife so the baby could come home. Ivar nodded before crawling inside. Björn told Hvitserk who passed by in his search to tell the parents that they found their child safe and would bring them their child.

"Baby, who's that?" Ivar asked and dreaded the answer. He never thought this would happened, at least not this fast. His wife had kidnapped a child from their parents.

"Our child, the gods have given us a child Ivar," Y/N said, her voice filled with joy. I closed his eyes before crawling closer to his wife.

"Baby..." He began. "How did the gods give you the child?" Ivar asked carefully as he looked at her face. It broke his heart to see how pleased she looked.

"It was in the crib, no one was around to care for it," She answered slowly and smiled when the baby gave her a faint smile. "It has you hair," She mumbled and Ivar mentally cursed.

"Baby... that's not our baby," Ivar started and Y/N looked at him with an angry look on her face. "It's the farmers son and they really miss him,"

"Then why did they leave it crying outside in the dark all alone!" Y/N growled in a low voice.

"Because the child usually falls asleep under the open sky baby," Ivar said and remember what the parents had said. "Sometimes he needs some fresh air to fall asleep," He continued.

"I would never leave our child outside," Y/N mumbled. "I want one of my own Ivar with you," She continued and Ivar nodded.

"I know baby and you have no idea how much it pains me not to be able to give you what you want but we need to take the baby home," Ivar said and he knew the parents could rush in any minute. "You can walk over there and say you didn't know and took care of it so nothing happened to it. That you protected it from danger," Ivar said and Y/N nodded after hesitating.

"I never wanted to hurt it or them. It was just laying there alone without anyone alone. I though they had given it to me," Y/N mumbled and Ivar nodded.

"I know baby, so what do you say? Shall we return the baby to his parents now?" Ivar asked and after a while she nodded. Ivar exhaled as they made their way towards the door.

Ivar crawled beside his wife as they met the parents half way. The parents cried from happiness as they saw the baby. Y/N handed it over to them and smiled.

"Thank you," The mother said as she cradled the baby in her arms.

"I didn't know, I just couldn't leave it like that," Y/N said they nodded. Björn looked at Hvitserk who probably told them a story.

"Thanks for making him fall asleep and keeping him safe," The mother said and Y/N smiled.

"No problem, he's a very sweet baby," Y/N said with a small smile on her lips. Soon they split, the small farm family walked back home and Ivar followed his wife back home. His body was oddly filled with guilt, even if his wife fully understood what she was getting into when they married. He just couldn't understand why her urge for a child came from so suddenly.

It was late and both of them were exhausted. Ivar crawled beside his wife in bed, spooning her close. His fingers intertwined with hers. Their bodies radiating warmth to one another as they laid there in silence.

"I'm very sorry baby," Was all Ivar could say before they drifted of into a deep slumber.