One-sided love.

wrote this quickly, not edited.

+

Y/n's eyes were glued on Harald, her King. She stood by the wall with a cup of mead in her hand as she looked at her King who spoke to the princess Ellisif, the beautiful princess that had promised to marry Harald once he became King. She shot daggers at the princess who smiled once in a while as Harald spoke.

Only Y/n knew about Ellisif breaking her promise to Harald. She had seen the princess with another man and overheard her dressing him as her husband. Y/n had been one of Harald's best and closest fighter for years. He was the only one who truly had believed in her when she said she wanted to become a great shield maiden. Others had laughed, including Harald's brother Halfdan yet he had changed his mind after she had beaten him numerous of times when they trained and after she had saved his life. Yet she didn't save his life because she had cared, only because she thought Harald would love her for it. He cared yes, he was very thankful yes however their relationship still hadn't developed into something deeper.

Y/n didn't know why she had failed for the slightly older man. She thought he was handsome, cunning and something she really couldn't pin point. No matter how many times she had asked herself when she looked at him why she loved him she never got an answer. Halfdan had figured it out after a while, she spent a lot of time with them and once he had confronted her about it. Why her eyes were lingering on Harald's body longer than necessary, why she tried to be in his presence as much as possible and why he had heard her mumble Harald's name in her sleep once when they sailed.

It never really came to mind that Halfdan would understand her feeling towards his brother. Y/n though that Halfdan would've laughed in her face, told her off before walking to his brother to gossip. However Halfdan had respected her feelings towards Harald and even told her than he would be happy of his brother got married with her. When Halfdan had said those words to her, the heart in her chest hadn't stopped beating. Blush had covered her cheeks when she had gotten approval from Halfdan. They were brothers she had thought, then maybe Harald might like her since Halfdan approved of her.

"Have you told him yet?" The familiar voice spoke from behind. She turned to her right and shook her head when her eyes met Halfdan's blue ones. She took a large gulp of mead, trying to numb the feelings that her heart pumped through her body.

"Look at him, he's been head of heels for her since the first time he laid eyes on her. If I said anything about my feelings towards him I could expect an outburst or him laughing in my face," Y/n said with a heavy heart, a sigh dropping from her lips. Halfdan gave her a small smile, he had compassion for her. He knew his brother wasn't feeling the exact same feelings towards Y/n. It was like the opposite with Harald and Y/n than between Harald and princess Ellisif. Instead of Harald being head over heels for a woman that wasn't interested, Y/n was standing there waiting for her feelings to be answered by Harald.

Halfdan never understood how Y/n could have fallen for his brother, Harald had always talked about his beautiful Ellisif, how he would marry her when king and make her with child. Harald had been there for Y/n yet they usually were agreeing about different strategies. An empty laugh slipped past Y/n's lips as she shook her head.

"I'm pathetic I know. I just can't believe what he sees in her. Yes she have a wonderful high born title as princess but she have never been interested in him. She's even married with that disgusting Kalf or what ever his name is," Y/n spat, venom dripping from every word. Her eyes widen when she realized what she had said, Halfdan's eyes widen too. His eyes moved to the princess they were talking about, seeing how bored she looked when Harald tried. Anger filled his voice when he realized that she had lied to Harald, his own brother.

"How do you know?" Halfdan asked and looked at Y/n who shrugged.

"Overheard her speaking to a man and called him 'husband'," She answered him and he nodded. "I even thought about killing her when I found out. She's lying to him, she never meant anything she had said to him that time," She continued with a smile on her face.

"If you killed her just like that he would've killed you, we need to tell him though and when he finds out she won't be married any longer," Halfdan said before making his way towards his brother. Y/n quickly drowned her cup filled with mead.

Y/n hugged her body close to her body as she left her tent. Imagines of last night filled her mind and made her heart ache even more. Harald had killed the princess husband Vik and threatened Ellisif to marry him instead now when her husband so tragically died. Y/n snorted when she thought about it. Her eyes roamed the village of Kattegat, people awakening, getting ready to start their day either training or taking care of animals. A frown played on her face when she saw princess Ellisif with her cloak tightly wrapped around her body as she walked towards Harald's tent. She squinted her eyes when she thought she saw something shining in the princess hand. Halfdan soon stepped outside as Ellisif entered. Halfdan gave Y/n a smile when she walked over.

"What is she doing?" Y/n asked, wanting to eavesdrop but Halfdan pulled her away. Halfdan didn't want her to hurt even more if the sounds of moans would be heard. "Halfdan let go of me!" Y/n growled but he only rolled his eyes.

"You don't want to hear that. Believe me," Halfdan said but she only scoffed. She got out of his grip before walking towards the entrance. She placed her hand over the dagger hidden behind her back under the cloak as she peaked inside, her eyes widen when she saw Ellisif straddling Harald with a knife behind her back. When Ellisif pulled out her knife, getting ready to kill Harald, Y/n rushed inside stabbing her dagger through the princess neck, killing her immediately. Y/n's breath were rugged as well as Harald's. His eyes were wide when they met Y/n's and soon Halfdan rushed inside.

"What happened?" Halfdan asked and Harald looked as his brother before back at Y/n.

"Y/n just saved my life," Harald said and Y/n's hear started to beat heavily in her chest as her cheeks heated. Harald quickly got dressed and Halfdan left to eat when he knew everything were under control yet Y/n couldn't move. Her eyes were glued on Harald's naked back before he put his shirt back on.

"Are you okay?" Y/n asked when she didn't know what else to say. Harald turned around and looked at her.

"Yeah, I'm alive yet the only woman I ever loved tried to kill me," Harald said, a sigh left his lips when he looked at the head princess on his bed. Y/n sucked in a breath, trying to be nonchalant and trying to ignore what he just said.

"Have you only loved her? I know you've met a lot of women and you're telling me that this one was the only one you ever loved?" Y/n asked, both curious of the answer and terrified at the same time.

"Yeah, I know it's unbelievable but I only loved her. Ellisif and you are the only women I've met more than twice in my life but I never developed anything towards you. We're friends and you're my best shield maiden, that would only complicate things," Harald said and gave her a faint smile, unaware of the sound of Y/n's heart that shattered in her chest. She couldn't hear nor feel anything else than her heart breaking. She forced a smile, yet avoiding his eyes.

"Yeah...Yeah it would." Y/n said before Harald left his tent, leaving her alone and heartbroken. She knew from that moment her love would always be one-sided.