Chapter 6. Hallowe'en!

Harry's POV

Ron and I were pretty sure that Malfoy could not believe that we were still here the next morning. We were tired, but still here.

I told him about the package that moved from Gringotts to Hogwarts, we spent a lot of time trying to figure out what was in there, and why it needed that much of protection.

"It's either really valuable or dangerous," Ron suggested.

"Or both," I said.

Neville, Hermione, and Y/N didn't seem to want to do anything with the three headed dog. All Neville cared about was never meeting with the dog ever again. 

Hermione was so mad at us that she stopped speaking to us. It wasn't much to complain about it. Ron and I were pleased that she wasn't.

Y/N still talked to us, but not often. She seemed to prefer to hang out with Hermione more than us for some reason.

All we really wanted was a way to get back at Malfoy, and just to our delight, that day would be today.

As the owls flooded into the Great Hall as usual, everyone's attention was caught by a long thin package carried by about six owls. I was interested in it as everyone else was to see who this parcel belonged to. It surprised me a ton when it was dropped right in front of me, knocking my bacon to the floor. They had hardly got anywhere when another owl came along and dropped a letter on top of the parcel.

I opened the letter first, and it was a good thing, because it read:

DO NOT OPEN THE PARCEL AT THE TABLE.

It contains you Nimbus Two Thousand, but I don't want everyone knowing you've got a broomstick or they'll all want one. Oliver Wood will meet you tonight on the Quidditch pitch at seven o'clock for your first training session.

Professor M. McGonagall.

I had difficulty hiding my excitement as I handed the letter to Ron.

"A Nimbus Two Thousand!" Ron moaned enviously. "I've never even touched one!"

We left the Hall quickly, wanting to open the broom immediately, before the lesson, but  halfway across the Entrance Hall we found the way to the common room blacked by some unwanted guests. Malfoy seized the package from my hands and felt it.

"That's a broomstick," he said, throwing it back to me with a mixture of jealousy and spite on his face. "You'll be in for it this time, Potter, first years aren't allowed them."

Apparently Ron couldn't resist.

"It's not any old broomstick," said Ron, "it's a Nimbus Two Thousand. What did you say you've got at home, Malfoy, a Comet Two Sixty?" Ron grinned at me. "Comets look flashy, but they're not in the same league as the Nimbus."

"What do you know about it, Weasley, you couldn't afford half the handle," Malfoy snapped at him. "I suppose you and your brothers have to save up, twig by twig."

Before Ron could answer, Professor Flitwick appeared at Malfoy's elbow.

"Not arguing, I hope, boys?" He squeaked.

"Potter's been sent a broomstick, Professor," said Malfoy quickly.

"Yes, yes, that's right," said Professor Flitwick, beaming at me. "Professor McGonagall told me all about special circumstances, Potter. And what model is it?"

"A Nimbus Two Thousand, sir," I replied, trying not to burst out laughing at the look of horror on Malfoy's face. "And it's really thanks to Malfoy here that I've got it," I added.