Chapter 15. Norbert!

Your POV

Quirrell seemed to be getting paler and thinner, but he didn't seem to have cracked yet. Snape was also in a bad mood, hopefully that meant the Stone was still safe.

Everytime was passed the third floor corridor Harry, Ron, Hermione, and I would put our ears to the door to see if Fluffy was still growling.

Harry and Ron started stepping up for Quirrell, but Hermione started drawing up revisions timetables and colour-coding all her notes. I didn't mind when she started to get Harry, Ron, and I to get us to do the same.

"Hermione, the exams are ages away!" Ron complained one afternoon.

"Ten weeks," Hermione snapped. "That's not ages, that's like a second to Nicolas Flamel."

"But we're not six hundred years old," I reminded her.

"Anyway, what are you revising for? You already no it all," said Ron.

"Here we go again," I moaned, rolling my eyes.

"What I am revising for? Are you mad? You realise we need to pass these exams to get into our second year? They're very important, I should have started studying a month ago, I don't know what's going on with me ..."

The teachers seemed to be on the same boat as Hermione. They piled so much homework on us that we Easter holidays weren't nearly as fun as the Christmas ones. It was hard to relax with Hermione next to you reciting the twelve uses of dragon's blood or practicing wand movements. We usually spent our free time together in the library, studying.

"I'll never remember this!" Ron burst out one afternoon, throwing down his quill and looking longingly out of the library window. It was the first really fine day we'd had in months. The sky was a clear forget-me-not blue and there was a feeling in the air of summer coming.

I continued reading my book until I heard Ron exclaim, "Hagrid! What are you doing here?"

Hagrid shuffled into view, hiding something behind his back. He looked very out of place in his moleskin overcoat.

"Jus' lookin'," he replied, in a shifty voice that got our interest. "An' what're you lot up ter?" He looked suddenly suspicious. "Yer not still lookin' fer Nicolas Flamel, are yeh?"

"Oh, we found him ages ago," Ron bragged. "And we know what that dog's guarding, it's a Philosopher's St-"

"Shhhh!" Hagrid looked around quickly to see if anyone was listening. "Don' go shoutin' about it, what's the matter with yeh?"

"There are a few things we wanted to ask you, as a matter of fact," said Harry, "about what's guarding the Stone apart from Fluffy -"

"SHHHHH!" Hagrid sushed again. "Listen - come an' see me later, I'm not promisin' I'll tell yeh anythin', mind, but don' go rabbitin' about it in here, students aren' s'pposed ter know. They'll think I've told yeh -"

"See you later, then," said Harry.

Hagrid shuffled off.

"What was he hiding behind his back?" Hermione wondered thoughtfully.

"Do you think it has something to do with the Stone?" Harry suggested.

"I'm going to see what section he was in," Ron announced, who probably had enough of working. He came back a minute later with a pile of books in his arms and slammed them down onto the table.

"Dragons!" He whispered. "Hagrid was looking up stuff about dragons! Look at these: Dragon Species of Great Britain and Ireland; From Egg to Inferno, A Dragon Keeper's Guide."