Chapter 18. First Year? Complete!

Your POV

I never thought that I would survive the exams, let alone were my friends and I are right now.

Currently my friends and I are standing in front of a giant chess set. I life sized chess set. Yes, I know that sounds unbelievable but we live in a wizard's world for cryin' out loud.

Let me list a few things that have happened today.

1. We found out that Hagrid told Snape how to get past Fluffy.

2. We tried sneaking out to stop Snape from stealing the Philosopher's Stone.

3. Neville was in our way so I had to put him in the full-body bind.

4. We almost got our heads chopped off by Fluffy.

5. Harry, Ron, and I almost got strangled by Devil's Snare. If Hermione was fully tangled by the plant we would have all died!

6. Harry, Ron, Hermione, and I had to fly through a sky of attacking keys to get through the next door.

And here we are. All of us, with minor cuts, looking in awe in front of this amazing board. I am scared shitless right now.

"What do we do now?" Harry whispered to us.

"It's obvious, isn't it?" said Ron. "We've got to play our way across the room."

I saw a door across the room and sarcastically whooped for joy.

"How?" Hermione nervously asked.

"I think," Ron gulped, "we're going to have to be chessmen."

He walked over to the black knight and put out his hand to touch the chess piece. At once, it sprang to life. The horse pawed the ground and the knight turned its helmeted head toward Ron.

"Do we - er - have to join you to get across?"

The black knight nodded. Ron turned to us three.

"This was what I was thinking about ..." he started. "I suppose we have to take the place of four black chess pieces."

Harry, Hermione, and I stayed quiet, watching Ron think. Finally he spoke.

"Now, don't be offended or anything, but Y/N is the only one who knows how to play chess without losing so bad. And I'm still better at her, so ..."

"We're not offended," Harry said quickly. "Just tell us what to do."

"Well, Harry, you take that place of the bishop, and Hermione, you go next to him instead of that castle, and Y/N, take the queen's place."

"Is that because I am a queen?" I joked.

I have this nasty habit of joking at the wrong time. It's gotten me in loads of trouble before, but no matter how much, or how hard, I get hit, that habit won't leave me.

The three looked at me like, 'Now is not the time, Y/N.'

"Okay then ..." I said slowly. "What are you going to be, Ron?"

"I'm going to be a knight!" he responded.

It was as if the chessmen were listen. For as Ron told us which one we were to be, they left. I took my spot at Queen, closed my E/C eyes, and took a deep breath. When I opened them again, I narrowed my eyes and put a look of pure determination on my face.

"White always play first," Ron told us, peering to to the other end of the board. "Yes ... look ..."

A white pawn had moved forward two spaces.