Chapter 57. Dancing Lessons!

Question of the day: What's your favourite part of the scene when McGonagall taught the students how to dance?

Your POV

Days after the First Task us Gryffindors (who were fourth year and up) were told to meet with Professor McGonagall in an empty classroom for something. We were never told what, but we all complied and met McGonagall in the empty classroom.

The classroom was huge, and there were two groups of chair on the other ends of the classroom.

"Good afternoon," McGonagall spoke from the center of the room. Next to her was Filch and an old record player. "Boys please sit down over here," she pointed to the right side of the room, "and girls, on this side," she gestured to the left side.

The boys and girls separated, going to different ends of the giant classroom. I saw Harry and Ron stick together, which they had been doing since they made up. Hermione and I both walked over together and sat down beside one another.

"I wonder what we're doing," I voice my thought to Hermione in a whisper.

"You're guess is better than mine," Hermione whispered back.

I chuckled under my breath and watched Filch play with the record player. What was that for?

"The Yule Ball," Professor McGonagall spoke up from the silence, "has been a tradition of the -" she was interrupted by a burst of static from the record player. She continued, "Triwizard Tournament." McGonagall took a breath and went on with her speech. "Since its inception. On Christmas Day night, we and our guests gather in the Great Hall for a night of well mannered frivolity. As representatives of the hosting school I expect each and everyone of you to put your best foot forward; and I mean this literally because, the Yule Ball is first and foremost a dance."

The Gryffindors broke out into murmurs. The boys' side was more of groans and complains, while the girls' was full of an excited chatter.

"Silence!" McGonagall raised her voice and the talking quit. "The House of Godric Gryffindor has commanded the respect of the wizard world for nearly ten centuries. I will not have you in the course of a single evening besmirching that name by behaving like a babbling, bumbling, band of baboons." She paused for a moment, and I looked and scanned the boys' side of the classroom. The Weasley twins were talking to one another, but if McGonagall could hear what they were saying she didn't shut them up. "To dance is to let the body breathe. Inside every girl a secret swan slumbers, longing to burst forth and take flight."

McGonagall paused again, and some muttering came from the boys' side belonging to Ron. A short and quiet laughter cam from Seamus, but stopped when he realized that everyone was looking at them.

"Inside every boy a lordly lion prepares to prance," McGonagall went on. "Mr. Weasley," she looked at Ron.

"Yes," he said in a small voice.

"Will you join me please?" she urged him to walk up by tugging on his robes.

Ron stood up and Harry pushed up forward, urging him on. The boys let out some laughter, and Hermione and I shared a glance; both of us wanting to laugh at Ron's situation.

"Now, place your right hand on my waist," McGonagall instructed Ron when they got to the middle of the classroom. 

"Where?" Ron asked, barely audible to people like Hermione and I.

 "My waist," McGonagall repeated, setting her hand on his shoulder.

When Ron placed his hand on her waist, someone whistled. I assume it was one of the twins. Ron started to go after one of them, but McGonagall pulled him back.