Chapter 12. Gryffindor vs Hufflepuff

Harry's POV

Dumbledore had convinced me to not go looking for the Mirror of Erised again and for the rest of Christmas holidays the Invisibility Cloak stayed at the bottom of my trunk. I wish I could forget what I saw in the Mirror of Erised easily, but I couldn't. I started having nightmares. Over and over again I dreamed about my parents disappearing in a flash of green light while a high voice cackled in laughter.

"You see, Dumbledore was right, that mirror could drive you mad," Y/N said, when I told her and Ron about these dreams.

Hermione, who came back the day before term started, took a different view on things. She was torn between  horror and the idea of me being out of bed, roaming the school three nights in a row ("If Filch had caught you!") and disappointment that I hadn't found Nicolas Flamel was.

We had almost given up hope of ever finding Flamel in a library book, even though I was still sure I'd read about him somewhere. Once term started, we were back to skimming through library books for ten minutes during our breaks. I had even less time than the other three, because Quidditch practice had started up again.

Wood was working the team harder than ever. Even the endless rain that had replaced the snow couldn't dampen his spirits. The Weasleys complained that Wood was becoming a fanatic, but I was on Wood's side. If we won their next match, versus Hufflepuff, we would overtake Slytherin in the Quidditch Cup in seven years. Quite apart from wanting to win, I found that I had fewer nightmares when I was tired after training.

Then, during one particularly wet and muddy practice session, Wood gave the team a bit of bad news. He'd just got very angry with the Weasleys, who kept dive-bombing each other and pretending to fall off their brooms.

"Will you two stop messing around!" He yelled. "That's the exactly the sort of thing that'll lose us the match! Snape's referring, this time, and he'll be looking for any sort of excuse to knock points off Gryffindor!"

At these words George  really dd fall off his broom.

"Snape's referring?" He sputtered through a mouthful of mud. "When's he ever referred a Quidditch match? He's not going to be fair if we might overtake Slytherin."

The rest of the team landed next to George to complain, too.

"It's not my fault," said Wood. "We just got to make sure we play a clean game, so Snape hasn't got an excuse to pick on us."

After practice, instead of hanging out with the rest of the team, I went straight to the common room - to tell Ron, Hermione, and Y/N.

I found Ron and Hermione playing chess, and Y/N on the nearest armchair next to them reading.

Chess was the only thing Hermione lost at and we all thought it was very good for her to learn how to lose.

"Don't talk to me for a moment," Ron told me as I sat down next to him. "I need to concen-" He caught sight of my face. I guess I must have looked sick or something. "What's the matter with you? You look terrible."

"That's one way to say hi, Ron," Y/N joked.

She looked up from the book she was reading and took a good look at me before saying.

"Oh, he was right."

Ron and Hermione sniggered.

Speaking quietly, so no one else could hear me, I told them about what Wood told us during practice.

"Don't play," Y/N said at once.

"Say you're ill," Ron suggested.

"Pretend to break you leg," said Hermione.