Chapter 34. The Boggart!

Y/n's POV

Remus wasn't there when we arrived in the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom when we arrived, so we just sat down and waited.

When he finally enter he said, "You all can put your books away. Today will be a practical lesson. You will only need your wand.

When he said "practical lesson" my mind went back to last year when we were attacked by Cornish pixies.

All of us put of books away and got out wands out.

"If you would follow me, please," Remus said.

We followed Remus all the way down to the staff room. It was almost smooth sailing getting there, except our run in with Peeves.

Snape was in the room when we entered, and before Remus closed the door said, "Keep it open, Lupin, I'd rather not witness this." He got up and at the door way turned around and told Remus, "No one's warned you yet, I presume, Lupin, but this class contains Neville Longbottom. I would advice you not to entrust him with anything, unless Hermione Granger is whispering instructions to him."

Neville turned red, and I glared at Snape's back as he left the room.

Remus saw this and gave me a look that said, "Do not react."

"Okay then." Remus coughed, gaining our attention, and walked towards an old wardrobe, which wiggled violently.

"Nothing to worry about," he said, as a few people jumped back, "just a boggart."

I looked at Remus like he was crazy, no one saw the look but him.

"Boggarts like the dark, and small spaces," Remus informed us. "This one moved in yesterday, and I asked the Headmaster to use it for my third years to practice on. So, first question, what is a boggart?"

Hermione and mine hands rose into the air.

"How about you, Hermione?" Remus called on her.

"It's a shape shifter," Hermione answered. "It takes them form of whatever scares a person the most."

"Took the words right out of my mouth," Remus complemented her, and Hermione beamed. "So the boggart sitting in the dark has not yet formed. It does not know what will frighten a person the most. Nobody knows what a boggart looks like when it is alone. But, when I let him out, he will take a shape.

"This means," Remus went on, "that we have a higher advantage. Have you spotted it, Harry?"

Harry's eyes widened as he was called apon.

"Er - because - because there are so many of us, it won't know what shape it should take?"

"Good," Remus said. "It's always best to have a companion when dealing with a boggart. It makes the boggart confused, not knowing what to turn into.

"There is a spell which stops the boggart, it's simple, yet it needs a force of mind. You see, the thing that finishes off a boggart is laughter. You need it to make a shape that is amusing.

"We will practice the spell without wands first. Repeat after me, 'riddikulus'!"

"Riddikulus!" we recited.

"Good," Remus said. "Very good. But that was the easy part, I'm afraid. You see, the word alone is not enough. And this is where I will need a volunteer.  Neville, how about you?"

Neville looked frightened, but walked ahead nevertheless.

"Right, Neville," Remus said. "First; what is the thing that frightens you most?"