11. Friendship

Cedric:

-What? - I was shocked.

-I just told you. My brother is dead and it's all my fault. - I didn't know what to say. What was I supposed to do? - It was all three years ago... Erik and I were very close to each other. We were twins. - She smiled sadly. - Our parents used to work during the whole day, so we were home alone most of the time.

I did n0t know what to do... Did she really kill her brother?

-One day, on Christmas to be exact... we started a fight to see who was stronger. - She looked down. - The truth is that he had won, who provoked me to be mad at him. I don't like to lose... That's why I don't want to apply as Keeper. - Cora looked up at me. - Cedric, I'm a monster. - Her eyes filled with tears.

I was speechless. She still hadn't explained why or how she had done it. But I wasn't going to ask, either.
-No, you're not. - I assured.

-Cedric, it's something I just cannot control. I pushed him so hard he slipped on the stairs and hit his head... I killed my own brother. - She burst in tears. - I'm a killer. Sorry, I don't even know why I'm telling you this. I don't blame you. You'll now think I'm weird.

-No, you aren't. And you're not a murderer. - I stared at her. - That was an accident. Yes, it's tragic. But you can't say you're a killer. - I finished before hugging her.

I haven't realised how serious it was. It really must be hard for her. Carrying that guilt throughout your whole life... must be hard.

-Thank you. - She sobbed. - You're the only person who hasn't left.

-We're friends. A real friend doesn't leave you in any situation. Regardless of how serious it is. - I stroked her hair.

[...]

We returned to Cora's common room. She had talked about it and felt calmer now.

-Thanks for making me company. - She smiled. - And for... not thinking I'm crazy.

-No problem. - I smiled back.

Suddenly, she took a few steps forward and kissed my cheek. But what was strange was that I blushed. Why did I blush?

When she thought I had left, I hid behind a wall, wanting to hear the riddle.
-If you have me, you want to share me. And if you do, you won't have me anymore. What am I?

I searched for the answer in my mind. It couldn't be so hard...

But before I could say anything, Cora answered instantly.
-A secret. - The common room door opened, and she entered.

How ingenious... A secret.

Narrator:

Since that moment, Cora and Cedric became best friends. They were a perfect combination.

Flashback

-Good morning! - Cedric moved Cora's hair out of place.

-And that humor? - The girl joked.

-Now I can't say good morning to my best friend?

[...]

-HUFFLEPUFF WINS! - Lee Jordan announced.

Cora rushed down to the field where Cedric was, and hugged him.
-Congratulations! - She exclaimed. - You were amazing!