36. Unique

Narrator:

And in one moment, Cora's world got crumbled to the ground.
-What are you doing here?! - The girl was lost in her throughts. - ANSWER ME!

The people in the platform was just passing by the scene in froont of them. Some whispered stuff like... "isn't that Damian?" "Shouldn't he be in Askaban?" But nobody did anything.

Everyone started to leave the place. They didn't want any problems with a criminal.

-You see, I have many contacts, so I had my bail paid.

-Leave, do not come near me. - She ordered, frightened.

-And who will take care of you? Whether you like it or not, I am your father. I'm responsible of you, for which we're going now. - The man walked toward the girl.

But Arthur and Molly intervened before it happened.

-Oh, the couple of the year. If you excuse me, I have errands to run with my daughter. - But they didn't leave.

-The truth is... that Amelia left us in charge of Cora. For which she doesn't "belong" to you anymore. - Arthur explained, calm.

-Cora is staying with us. - Molly grabbed the girl's hand. - You're not taking her away.

Damina, on the other hand, started laughing.
-Very well, law are laws... for now. Enjoy your stay with the Weasleys... - He turned to Cora. - Probably one day... I don't know, unforseen things will happen.

Right after, he disappeared.

Cora was shaking. It was all her fault. Now the Weasleys were in danger because of her. I don't deserve them; she thought.

-Deary... - Molly hugged her.

-I'm so sorry. - The girl began crying in the woman's arms. - I... I didn't want to do this... I'm sorry for everything.

-There's nothing to apologise for. Did you think we'd leave you with him? Over my dead body.

Cedric, who was witnessing the scene, was so puzzled. Where was Cora's mother?
-Hey, Fred, George! - The twins walked up to him. - Is Cora okay?

-What do you mean by that? - Fred crossed his arms. - Haven't you heard about her mother?

-Her mother?

-She passed away last summer. That's why we've tried being as close to her as possible. Why do you ask? You didn't do anything to her, did you? - George inquired.

Cedric realised that, with her brother and her mother, he had made everything worse. The guy had an enormous desire to hug her, but remembered her words.
-Just... tell her I'm very sorry. I wouldn't like tomake her more mad. - Just then, he left with his father, leaving a great curiosity in the youngest twin.

[...]
At The Burrow, Cora felt like home immediately.

-You know where your room, is dear. You can go unpack. - Molly smiled.

Cora went up the stairs, and started installing in the bedroom where she had slept the previous summer.

-Can I come in? - George spoke.

-You're already inside, but yeah. - She half-smiled.

-How are you taking it? - He began helping her with her stuff.

Cora shrugged.
-I couldn't ask for more. You've iterally welcomed me into your home... I really don't know how to...

George hugged her since he felt like the girl might break down at some moment. She really was hurt, but he didn't believe it was only because of her "father".
-Anything else? - The girl shook her head "no". - You can tell, I'm not the idiotic twin. - He joked, which provoked a small smile on her face.

-Do you think I'm weird? - George got startked by such question.

-No, you are not. Who told you that? - He asked, a little angry.

-It's not that... Really, I'm just not enough for anybody.

-And does Cedric has something to do with it? - Cora looked at him, and George immediately knew that was it.

-No. Cedric has nothing to do with it. It's me, I am the problem... - She stood up. - Sorry about this. - She looked down. - I would like to be better... Maybe prettier, or having both eyes of the same color. I'm sorry.

The guys stood back up, serious. He wasn't liking what Cora was saying about herself at all.
-First of all, don't you disparage yourself ever again. It doesn't maatter if you're short, tall, blonde, brunette, or have each eye of a different color. That's what makes you unique, and not because someone has to tell you to believe it. Trust me, if you're not perfect for that special person, surely you are for somebody else. - The girl had no words for that.

That was the moment where she had gone speechless. It was exactly what she needed to hear.
-Why are so nice with me? - She hugged him.

George chuckled.
-I suppose I see Ginny in you. If something happened to her, I'd feel horrible...

The door opened, revealing Fred with his mouth wide open.
-I didn't know you two were dating. Congrats!

George and Cora glanced at each other, and decided to follow the joke.
-Actually, we wanted to tell you, but we've been together for a year now. - He spoke.

Fred's eyes widened.
-A YEAR?! GEORGE, BUT IN THAT YEAR, YOU'VE BEEN KISSING TONS OF OTHER GIRLS! - He covered his mouth right after, so Cora decided to keep acting.

She pushed George away abruptly.
-How could you?! George, you had already proposed!

-I'm sorry, okay? - He held his laugh. - Fred, look what you've done!

The oldest twin gripped his head with his hands.
-I've just ruined a one-year relationship... I've just ruined... I DIDN'T MEAN TO, I'M SORRY!

George couldn't hold back anymore, and burst in laughter. Cora, as well.
-Big bro... relax. You haven't ruined anything. - He tapped his brother's shoulder.

Fred sighed loudly in relief.
-Merlin... so then, am I the Godather?

-Fred, it was a joke. We aren't together. - Cora finally admitted.

-Really? Okay, so... I found it weird. I thought you had something going on with Diggory, but... - He began, but the girl wasn't listening.

She remembered what she had told Cedric in the train, and that was when she started regrettng everything. Still, he only had done it because of a dare... a fucking dare.