59. Ashamed

Narrator:

Finally, Harry arrived safe and sound. Except for Alastor Moody, Hedwig, who were unalived. And George, who ended up hurt.

Now? They would celebrate Bill and Fleur's wedding, which would let everyone relax for a bit.

Or not.

Cora found herself in the guest bedroom, looking at herself in the mirror... and she didn't like the view.

She had scars all over her legs and arms... not to mention the bruises and scratches.

Thee girl sat on the bed, closed her eyes, and imagined how she'd desire to look. It was unfair she had to go through this.

She opened them, but the scars were still there.

Someone knocked on the door, pronouncing a can I come in?

Cora didn't answer, given she covered herself with a sweater.
-Hermione... what do you need?

-Cora... - The girl closed the door. - Are you okay? Do you want me to call someone?

-No. Really... it's just... nothing. - Cora looked down. - Merlin, you look beautiful. - She half-smiled.

-Thanks. And I'm certain you are, too. Why don't you take that sweater off? - The girl shook her head "no".

-I prefer staying like this.

The bed was in between both girls, which was the reason why Hermione couldn't see the scars on Cora's legs.

-Cora... why don't you... - She approached her, but the girl was faster and showed what she hid. She took the sweater off, showing her arms.

With teary eyes, Hermione tried saying something, but no words were coming out.

Hermione just hugged her. She couldn't imagine the pain Cora was feeling, but it hurt seeing her friend like that.

-Hermione... I'm just not good enough. I don't even know why Cedric is still with me. - She sobbed. - I'm just a burden for everyone... and I'm sick of faking it.

-You're not a burden... you've never been. Besides, if Cedric's still with you, it's because he loves you. - She wiped her friend's tears. - And you're beautiful. Whether you have those scars or not, you're unique.

-I can't go out like this... I can't, Hermione. - Cora told her. - I don't want everybody to stare or laugh at me while I humiliate Cedric. He doesn't deserve this.

-And you don't deserve all the despise you're throwing at yourself. - She hugged her. - Believe me that no one will say a thing about your scars. You're still gorgeous, besides. - She smiled. - Now, let's go celebrate with Bill and Fleur and have a good time, yeah?

-Thanks. - Cora wiped her own tears. - I... sorry for being like this.

-Don't apologise. We all feel insecure about ourselves sometime. But that's what friends are for, to make you see the good and positive side of things.

Meanwhile, Cedric was waiting for Cora to go out together.

When he saw Hermione coming down with her, he had no idea of how to react.

Cora looked stunning in that dress. And, before his eyes, she the most angelic girl he's seen. But it was always like that. And once again, he felt fortunate of being her boyfriend.

-Ready? - He asked with a smile. - Hey... are you all right?

-Yeah... just... I wanted to ask you something.

-Is everything okay?

-Are you sure you aren't ashamed of me? - The girl doubted, looking down.

She was hugging herself, trying to show the marks the least possible.
-Why would you say that? No, I'm not ashamed of you. - He assured, but she wasn't replying. - Why do you think that?

-Cedric, haven't you seen me? Right now you could be with a prettier girl than me. Someone who deserves you, because look at you! You're perfect, and I'm just... Cora. - She admitted.

-Is that how you feel? Wow, I never thought you'd be so mistaken. I'm not ashamed of you. I would never. - To which she looked up at him. - Everything will be fine, okay? I love you.

They entered the party, and everything was decorated. Wow, it's so wonderful and welcoming, Cora thought.

-I'll go get something to eat. - She told Cedric, who nodded.

The truth was that she wanted to get away from everyone a little. She preferred being at the end, without anyone noticing her.

A long while passed, and the girl had eaten several appetizers. She decided it was too much, so she went to where Cedric was, who chattered with two other boys.

-So she's your girlfriend, right?

-No, she's not. - Cedric chuckled. - She's kind of crazy... and annoying.

Such words were enough for Cora to leave the place.

Cedric:

-Oh, okay... The truth is that you weren't such a great couple. You were always kissing in the hallways.

-I'm with Cora now, and she really makes me happy. - I smiled.

-Why don't you introduce her? - They asked, so I turned to search for her, but she was nowhere to be found.

-I'll... go look for her. - And I begun searching throughout the entire place, but Cora wasn't anywhere. - How strange...

-Cora?! - I called outside of the tent.

I went inside the house to check.
-Cora?! - I went up to her old bedroom, but it was empty. - Shit.

Cora:

-George, I need your apartment keys, please. - I told him, holding back tears. - I swear it's important.

He frowned at me, but handed them to me anyway.
-Are you okay?

-Yeah, just... don't tell Cedric where I am. - I hugged him shortly, and left, without letting him reply.

That was the only solution I found at the moment. With the money I inherited from my mother, tomorrow I would go to Gringotts and search for an apartment of my own. To not bother anyone else.

Arriving at Fred and George's floor, I smiled by how messy it looked.

The house smelled like them... more like The Burrow.

I sat on the couch, and remembered all the events.

As I thought since the beginning... I'm nothing more than a burden. And I didn't blame Cedric.

The problem was me.