25. Almost

Cora:

It was the last day of this term at Hogwarts. Everybody went to the Great Hall, where we said goodbye until next term. Summer vacations, here we come.

There, I saw Jason and Jeremy talking vividly. On the other hand, the twins were having fun, so I had no choice but to sit on my own and just wait.

When Dumbledore's speech ended, I sighed in relief. We could finally go home.

[...]

I was now on the train, not wanting to disturb Jeremy or the twins, who were with Angelina's group.

I just sat down in my compartment and took my hook out. It's been awhile since I last read... Suddenly, the door slided, just like the first time.

-What are you reading? - Cedric asked, sitting down. - This term has passed pretty quickly, don't you think? - He looked out the window. - I still remember when I came in here and saw you reading. - He smiled.

-Truly, yeah. I recall saying you were annoying. - I added, closing the book. - And you wouldn't stop talking to me.

-And I'm glad I did. - I looked down. I was lucky to befriend Cedric. - Something wrong? - He asked with a frown.

-Nothing... It's just... I still don't understand why. - I sighed. - Thank you. - He suddenly seemed like he was getting nervous. Typical of him.

He smiled. Blimey, I had never noticed how pretty his smile was.

Cedric:

And for once in so long, we were able to talk with no interruptions, nobody barging in, and without getting mad.
-So... how's it going with love...? - She suddenly asked. - I've always wondered who's the girl for whom you can't sleep.

It startled me that she brought that subject up. I usually was the one who asked her those kind of things... I chuckled at the nerves she provoked in me. What was I supposed to say?

-Actually... I don't know, there's... a girl. - I began, to which she looked away. - Why do you ask? - I half-smiled. Why would she want to know?

-Don't think about stuff like that. - She responded, looking out the window. - Cho asked me to. - I frowned. And now she looked back at me. - She like you.

-I know. - I admitted. - But me liking her, I don't know... - I felt more nervous every time. I had committed the mistake of staring down at her lips. Merlin...

Cora seemed nervous, as well. But it was more like a staring contest. None of us took our gaze away from each other. And it wasn't awkward.

That was when she started getting closer, which I copied. Could we maybe... CEDRIC! What are you thinking?! We were closer each time. Suddenly, she looked up at my eyes and smiled.

-Listen to your heart. You'll understand. - She pulled away and stood up. - Are you staying there? We're here. - She laughed.

She exited the compartment. What just happened? I thought. We were about to kiss, and it was idiotic of me to not make the move... And most importantly, why did I want it to happen?

I smiled like an idiot. Suddenly, I noticed Anthony talking to Sofia Brenston from our year. Hufflepuff, to be more clear. The girl who simped him since long ago.

-Why that face? - Anthony laughed. I couldn't stop smiling even if I wanted to. It was ticklish feeling which reminded me what had happened.

Cora:

Was it possible if I hadn't been a coward, I could be kissing my best friend right now? Probably.

Listen to your heart? You could've thought of something better, Cora... But given the circumstances, it the only thing I had in mind. Besides, he had just told me there was a girl. It didn't make sense.

I got out of the train with the intention of finding my mother. I was excited to finally be able to see her. Which never happened. No one was there. It was impossible she forgot about me.

-Cora! - I turned around, finding Molly with her usual smile. - Haven't they told you? - Fred and George shared a frown. - You'll spend summer with us at the Burrow.

Fred's books fell to the ground whiile George jumped with joy. Ron, on the other hand, was smiling at me. Meanwhile Ginny came up to me and hugged me.

I was elated. I couldn't ask for more. Although, it meant my mother hasn't healed yet. And that concerned me.

-Wouldn't it bother you? I really don't want to disturb any of you... - I spoke insecurely.

-The only one who bothers is Percy. Don't worry. - Fred assured, to which Molly slapped his head with the newspaper she was holding.

I smiled. They were the best people I could have met, and I was lucky to have them.

When we started leaving, the two boys who usually bulllied Neville ran past me, pushing me by the sides.
-Be more careful. - I stared at them with my most serious expression.

Narrator:

If something stood out from Cora it was her eyes, no questions asked. When she looked at you it was normal you got nervous given these penetrated your soul. And made you seem weak in comparison to her.

Crabbe and Goyle said nothing. That look reminded them of Draco when he was angry. Both of them were intimidated by her expression.

Cora pressured them no more, and left with the twins, who were excited that their friend would spend vacations at their house.

Cedric, on the other hand, could only think of that kiss that didn't end up happening. He also kept thinking Cora's words through. FOLLOW YOUR HEART AND YOU'LL UNDERDTAND...

He should start listening to it. Even though, at the moment it was just beating heavily. He still felt the butterflies his best friend provoked in him.