50. Don't leave me

Narrator:

-THE HOGWARTS CHAMPION... CEDRIC DIGGORY. - Dumbledore announced.

When Harry arrived with Cedric to where everyone was, they took quite a surprise

Cora's scream left everybody speechless.
-NO! LET ME THROUGH! - She pushed anyone that was on her way.

-THAT'S MY SON! MY BOY! - Amos Diggory also approached to where Harry was.

Everyone present was crying, not only by the scare... but because of Cora and Cedric's father's cries.

-WAIT! - Cora's voice was broken. - HE HAS PULSE! - She placed her head over the guy's chest.

-TAKE HIM TO THE HOSPITAL WING NOW! - Somebody yelled.

-My boy... - Amos whispered.

-He'll  be o-okay. Cedric will be all right. - Cora hugged him.

They were both shaking. For a moment, they had thought Cedric had died.

[...]

Now... more than five days have passed since Cedric was in St. Mungos.

Cora decided to stay with him. She had no home to go to, except for The Burrow, so she convinced Mr. and Mrs. Diggory that she'll tell them if there were any updates about Cedric.

During those days, Cora spent time reading and crying.

She wanted Cedric to heal once and for all. He promised everything would be okay... after all.

-I'll go to the bathroom... I hope you're awake when I'm back. - Although he wasn't conscious, the girl felt like Cedric was listening to her the whole time.

When Cora went back to the room, she found him moving.
-Cedric?! - She ran up to him.

He seemed to be convulsing. She pressed the emergency botton and grabbed his hand, which was cold.

-Cedric... please stop. - She begged in between sobs. - Please, Cedric... wake up.

-What's the emergency? - A nurse came into the room. - Oh, Merlin. I'll go call the doctors. - And she left running.

-I need you with me... please. - I told Cedric.

Cora couldn't bear with the tears. She didn't want anything to happen to him.

-Okay, let's see what's going on. - The Doctor entered the room along with other nurses.

-Pulse? - He asked. - Is it stable?

-No, sir... a hundred forty-five and up.

Cora kept holding Cedric's hand. She wouldn't dare letting him go.

-Do something!

The doctors started making tests and controlls, which set him calm again.
-He'll be under observation for now. If anything happens, just call us. - The doctor recommended before leaving.

-Thanks, Doctor. - Cora sighed.

Even if the doctor said Cedric was more stable, the girl still wouldn't let him go.

-Come back to me... don't leave me. - She rubbed his hand with her thumb.

Awhile passed by, and Cora was still holding his hand, even if her eyes were closing. She was really tired and hadn't eaten more than an apple for breakfast.

-Come on, Cedric... wake up. - That was when the tears appeared again.

Cedric still wasn't responding to any signal. HIs eyes were still closed, but he was still breathing.

-I love you. - The girl told him. - Thank you... for changing my life. Please... - She closed her eyes. - Just... wake up.

And from one moment to another, silence overcame the room in its entirety. Cora had fallen asleep.

Cedric:

I opened my eyes, and my whole body was hurting, unable to move.

Besides, I was in some kind of room. It was all white.

I tried moving, but failed attempt. That was when I felt a weight on my hand.

-Cora... - I whispered.

With the nearest hand to her, I started stroking her hair like before the task begun.

Suddenly, I started remembering how awful it had been. The portkey... and that man.

I could feel Cora's soft breathing, so relaxing... I focused on her eyes. They were closed, but you could see she's been crying.

That was when she started moving.

-Cora... - I spoke, to which she immediately pulled away.

-Is this a dream?! Tell me it's not because if not, I don't want to wake up... Tell it's you and that you're okay. - She rushed, her eyes teary.

-It's me, Cora. I'm all right. - I half-smiled.

She walked up to me and, carefully, gave me a hug. I felt how she sobbed, how her breathing was breaking.

-I'm here... - I rubbed her back like I could. The pain was present, but it was worth hugging Cora. - I'm here with you...

-You... you d-don't what... you made us g-go through. - She told me in between sobs. - Please... don't p-participate in another tournament like that ever again. - She wiped her tears with her sleeves.

I swear she was way more adorable when she cried.

-I promise. - I kissed her head.

Cora slowly pulled away.
-Merlin... I have to call your parents and tell everyone that came to visit you... apart from the doctors... I'll be right back, you... don't move.

I rolled my eyes as she went out through the door.

It felt strange... it was as if I was here, but, at the same time, not. My throat was dry, and let's not talk about the tiredness.

How long have I been like this?

Cora came back with a lot of doctors who checked my pulse and many other things.

-You were lucky, son... It's been a week without you responding any signal. - A nurse spoke.

-A-A week? - I asked, stunned. - Cora's been here for a week?

-The girl? She didn't want to separate from you since you got in here... You're a lucky boy.

I turned to where Cora was. By the door, waiting for my parents, I suppose.
-Yeah... I certainly am.

Narrator:

Once Cedric's parents arrived, they decided they would stay with him until he could get out of St. Mungos.

-I'll come back tomorrow, okay? - Cora leaned down to kiss his lips.

-I'll be waiting here. - Cedric smiled. - Thanks for everything. I love you.

The girl smiled and left with a bomb of relief.

Cedric was safe and sound at last.

Marathon 3/3