32. Heart

Cedric:

We were in Divination class. Since I rarely pay any attention, I sat on the last row, by the window, where I could watch perfectly the students who had freetime.

Within five minutes, Cora appeared with the twins and Jeremy, laughing. I focused on what they were doing.

-Today we will talk about... feelings. Do you know the feeling of love? Great, because today, we will learn its qualities... For example... you! - Trelawney pointed at a girl from Gryffindor.

I hooked my eyes on Cora and adorable she looked. She was sitting on the floor with Jeremy, who seemed to be doing some homework... or an assignment. Meanwhile, Fred and George wouldn't stop talking, making her laugh.

-Mr. Diggory, what are you feeling right now? - The professor asked.

-Love. I MEAN... boredom. - I corrected. The truth is that I blushed, and Anthony's expressions weren't helping.

-I see... - She walked toward where I was.

Please don't look out the window... But yes, she did.

-Describe that love for me.

Great, now everyone was laughing at me. Why did Trelawney ask such... useless questions?
-Um, I don't know... - I tried thinking about how much I appreciate Cho, but nothing came to mind to describe our love. - How do you want me to describe it?

She smiled, and it sent goosebumps down my spine.
-Perhaps you should try with someone else. - I widened my eyes. Has she read my mind?

The entire classroom stared at me, some students chattering stuff like... "Isn't he with Cho?" or "Who's he thinking about?".

I sighed and focused on the FRIENDSHIP between Cora and me. No one knew I was thinking about her, after all.
-Okay, I feel adrenalin... nervousness... curiosity? Happiness, euphoria... joy... and frustration. - I answered, staring out the window.

Adrian had approached to talk to Cora. They were apart from Jeremy and the twins, who were whistling at them.

-Anything else? - I shook my head "no". - Yes, you seem to be in love, Mr. Diggory.

-No, I'm not. - But now I saw my mistake. Everyone was whispering. And now they will know I wasn't thinking about Cho... or that I don't like her... This was bad... really bad.

[...]
Cora:

-I'm glad to have a partner like you. - Adrian chuckled. - I've truly never been good at Enchantments.

-It's the least I can do. You always help me with Potions. - I smiled.

We headed to our next lesson, but, suddenly, I noticed Cedric taking short but fast steps toward. He seemed worried.

-Come on, Diggory! You can't escape from the truth! - His friend teased.

-Leave me alone! - Cedric yelled.

I frowned. My following class was Defense Against the Dark Arts... I was good at it.

-Adrian, if Professor Lupin asks, I'm not feeling well. - I told him before searching for my friend.

I ended up walking by a hallway on the west wing... where Filch's office was.

-Cedric?

He was leaning on one of the railings, where there wonderful views from outside.

-Cedric, are you okay?

Cedric:

And there it was; the motive of my problems.
-Yeah, I'm fine. - I half-smiled, but it looked more like a grimace. - Don't you have class?

-I rather staying here with you. What's wrong? - She approached.

Why every time she was near me, I felt nervous? What have you done to me, Cora?

-You're tense. - She realised. - You know you can trust me.

-I'm confused. - I admitted. - I don't know what I feel for Cho... And don't get me wrong, she's fantastic and very sweet...

-There's another girl, isn't there?

-How do you know? I mean... Yes, there may be another one. - I half-smiled. Cora knew knew she was that girl, right?

-Oh... I don't know. I suppose if you don't feel the same way, maybe Cho... no longer fills your heart, but someone else.

-Any advice? - I sat down on the floor, which she copied.

-I'm nobody to tell you what to do... Like I told you once, follow your heart. Listen to it, and it will guide you through the right way.

Listen to the heart... I was listening mine, and now, it told me it was Cora and that it's always been her.
-And what if I'm listening to it right now, and it's telling me to kiss you?

-W-What? - But I acted fast, and attached our lips in a warm kiss. A kiss that I needed to confirm Cora has always been there. All the jealousy, all those fights... When I felt nervous with her presence.

I fancied Cora. My best friend. And I always have.

She seemed to be in shock, but someething happened, and she pulled away.
-How could you? You have a girlfriend! Just imagine how Cho might be feeling! - Cora stood back up. - T-This never happened. I'm sorry, Cedric.

She left, and I did not follow her. However, although she rejected me, a smile was still present in my face.

I've never felt something similar whenever I kissed Cho, which indicated I had to break up with her as soon as possible.

Narrator:

Cora needed time to process what just had happened; Cedric kissed her... and she pulled away.

But she had to make sense of something. If he cheated on Cho with her... he could do it perfectly with other girls.

Cora decided to continued as if nothing ever happened. Probably he's mistaken... it's impossible Cedric fancies somebody like me, Cora kept repeating to herself.