43. Partner

Cora:

-All right, listen. As organizer for this year's Yule Ball, it's duty to demonstrate you the traditional waltz. I don't want you to crush the name of Hogwarts like a babbling bumbling band of baboons. - McGonagall announced.

-Try saying that five times faster. - George whispered to Fred.

I rolled my eyes. They were absolutely opportune for everything.
-Could you two stay quiet? - I asked them.

Each twin got closer to my ears.
-No. - And they began laughing quietly.

-Inside every girl, a secret swan slumbers, longing to burst off and take flight. - McGonagall explained.

-Looks like not all of them have a secret swan inside. - Ron murmured, referring to Lisa Swam.

A noise echoed through the room.
-Ow! Why'd you hit me?! - Yes, I hit him with my book.

McGonagall gave me a small smile, which I returned.
-Mr. Weasley... - She walked up to Ron. - Come here. We'll use you as an example.

I went back to the twins, who were mocking his little brother.

Narrator:

Meanwhile, in that same room, Cedric could only look at her. He wanted to ask her out to the dance, but didn't know how. It was hard... What if she said no?

Although... he supposed she would go with her boyfriend. Besides, they were laughing along with Fred about the fool that Ron was making of himself.

-Very well.... you've seen the demonstration. Now, choose a partner and start practicing. - The professor concluded.

Cedric was going to ask her, he was about to ask Cora if she wanted to be his partner, but George grabbed her hand to start dancing.

-Do you have a partner? I have to explain my plan to you to be with... her. - Cho told him.

-Yeah, okay. - He accepted.

Meanwhile, Cora was trying to learn the correct steps.
-How do you make it seem so... easy? - She looked down at her feet. - Since when do you dance this good?

George chuckled.
-Cora, dancing is a gift. All the Weasleys have it... except Ron.

-Well, damn... this is not my thing at all. - She sighed. - Sorry for being a horrible dancing partner.

-Hey, that's why we're here. Look, just follow the rhythm and get carried away. I'll guide you through the rest. - Cora smiled and followed his advice.

-You have to help me. I like her a lot and I want to ask her to be my date at the Ball... You could help me. - Cedric finally asked Cho.

-Of course. I'm your friend for a reason. - Even though, within, the jealousy was killing her.

Cedric could only look at her, who was having fun with George, trying not to fall because of her clumsiness.

-I heard they're together. - Cho spoke, watching how Cedric tensed. - I'm not sure, I have to confirm it.

-No, it's fine. - The guy assured. - Let's... just dance.

The Great Hall was full of every kind of people. The good dancers, in the case of the twins, draco, or Cedric, and more.

Then there were the ones who were nervous. Not only because they had to learn the dance, but also had to find a partner, such as Lavender Brown.

The ones who passed from everything, like Ron or Seamus, who preferred not to "make a fool of themselves". And lastly, the ones who tried, like Neville and Cora.

-I simply don't see the point of this waltz. - Cora admitted. - Couldn't they create some more steps that are... - She couldn't continue because George held her waist, lifting her up into the air, twirling her around. - See? Ridiculous steps. - She pointed out, trying to hide her blush.

-Shhh, you have to relax. - The redhead, who wouldn't stop laughing by his friend's attitude, told her.

-Okay, ladies and gentlemen. That's all for today. And remember to practice for the big day. - McGonagall spoke, dismissing everyone.

Cora:

-H-Hi! Um... are you partners? - A Hufflepuff girl asked.

I noticed how a blushed went up my friend's cheeks... so I decided to help him.
-No, we're not partners. - I half-smiled.

-Oh, um... I was wondering if you wanted to go to the ball with me? - The girl asked shyly.

I looked back at George, who was staring at her, hypnotized.
-Oh, excuse him, of course he wants to go with you. - I responded fo him. - Isn't that right?

-What? I MEAN, YES! ABSOLUTELY. - I laughed at his nerves.

-Great. I'll see you, then! - The girl spoke kindly.

Once she started skipping away, I felt happy for my friend.
-Thank you. - He hugged me.

Cedric:

-It's clear he'll go with her. - Cho spoke, to which I looked back at her. - Haven't you seen them?

-I know... it's best if I don't even try. - I passed my hand through my hair.

-You'll have to look for a partner as soon as possible. - She told me. And it was true.

I glanced at Cora one final time, who was leaving along with Jeremy.
-Cho, would you like going to the ball with me? - She smiled and gladly accepted.

At least I would go with a friend...

Cora:

-So... has someone asked you yet? - I looked back at Jeremy, who was happier than usual.

-No, but it looks like someone did ask you.

-Exactly. Jason asked me as soon as he knew about the ball. - He smiled. - You should ask Cedric.

-What? And why would Cedric want to come with me? Have you seen me? No, better not to humiliate myself.

Jeremy left to the library tp focus on his work... when, suddenly,  he saw how Krum was asking Hermione, her accepting gladly.

-Clever dude... - He spoke, to which Krum half-smiled at him. No doubt Hermione was one of the best options.

[...]

Two days before the ball... and I had nobody.

After all, I get it. No one would want to come with me when there much prettier girls.
-Angelina said yes. - Fred suddenly spoke. - Who do you have?

-Jason. - Jeremy responded.

-Michelle. - George spoke.

They all turned to me.
-Food. - I took a bite of my cookie.

-Cedric hasn't asked you yet? - Fred asked, to which I frowned.

-But Cedric's going with Cho. He asked her ages ago. - I replied, recalling how she was bragged about how Cedric had asked her through the entire common room.

-And that... is what I never expected. - George finished. - How can he be such an idiotic bitch?

-Doesn't matter, boys. I'm not going to the ball. - I got up from my seat. - But thanks for worrying.

And that was the plan. I wasn't attending that bloody dance.