35. Dare

Narrator:

It seems like, when things are going wonderfully, when everything turns out well for you, when you're having good luck... bad luck comes.

Cora found herself in the common room. It was the last day of the term in Hogwarts... and she supposed she would stay in The Burrow like Molly told her.

-Can we talk for a moment? - Cora turned around, finding Cho, who seemed calm, without any desire to fight.

-Sure. About what? - The girl asked.

-Just wanted to wish you luck... I mean, I can't imagine if he hurts you. - Cora frowned. Who would hurt her?

-Why do you say that? Who are you talking about?

-Cedric. I just found out what he's done. I only wanted to make sure you were okay.

-And can I know what's he done? - Cora crossed her arms.

Cho covered her mouth with one hand, shocked.
-Don't tell me you didn't know... I'm sorry, I think... - She began, but Cora interrupted.

-Tell me.

-You see... you were in first year. I still wasn't here, but I've heard things, but don't know of they're true. It appears that Cedric only entered the compartment you were in since it was a dare... to laugh afterwards... because you looked weird to him.

Cora started feeling dizzy, so she leaned on the sofas there.
-You're telling me that...

-It was only a dare. Cedric wouldn't have talked to you otherwise. - Cho admitted. - It must be a pity. I'm sorry.

-No, thanks for telling me. - The girl returned to reality.

Cho left, feeling way happier than usual while Cora kept thinking about every word she just heard.

Even though she didn't want to, what Cho had said... was creating lots of insecurities in her. She wasn't good enough.

Cora ran to the bathroom, and stared at herself through the mirror. And it was true, it was clear it was just a prank. She wasn't pretty like the other girls in her year. Suddenly, she frowned. Have I gained weight?, Cora thought, grimacing.

And finally... her eyes. Those damn eyes. She hated them, she hated herself. She wasn't enough for anybody. She didn't deserve anyone.

Cora went down to the Great Hall, where evrybody was to say goodbye to the term.

She felt the look of Cho's group on her, who were chattering and giggling. Surely about me; she thought.

-Cora! Look what's for dessert. Chocolate cake! - Jeremy smiled. - Your favourite!

The girl sat down and stared at the cake.
-I'm not hungry anymore. You enjoy it. - She half-smiled.

During the whole time, she spent staring down at her plate, remembering everything. She still didn't assimilate it, and only ate a little pasta.

Jeremy noticed her attitude.
-You all right?

-Yeah, just tired. - Cora looked back at him. - Do you know when we're going?

-Uh, yeah, after dinner. Are you sure you're okay?

-I'm perfect. - She responded, drinking her fifth glass of water. - Let's go.

[...]
Jeremy knew something was going on. He just needed to figure out what it was.

He usualy sat with Jason in the train, but needed to talk to Cora.
-What are you doing here? And Jason?

-You're more important than him. You're my best friend. - He sat beside her. - What's wrong?

-I... really want to go to the bathroom. You should go with your little friend.

That filled Jeremy with relief. Maybe she really was tired.
-Sure. But if anything happens, just tell me, okay? - Cora nodded before making her way to the bathroom.

How could she feel so insecure from one moment to the other?

When she finished, she started searching for an empty compartment.

-You want to come? I think there's a compartment... - A voice began, but Cora cut it off.

-I'm going to ask you something and I want you to be honest with me. - Cedric grew worried. His friend was palea and didn't haev a nice expression.

-Ask. - He frowned a little.

-In my first year, your second year... did you talk to me only because of a dare?

Cedric looked down. How did she know?
-H-How do you know that? Who told you?

-It's true, then... I'm just a stupid dare. - She took some steod away from him. - Don't talk to me ever again.

-No, no, wait. It might have been a dare, but it was only that day... Let me...

-NO! - Cora screamed, catching some people's attention. - I don't need explanations. You'll have to look for someone else to laugh at.

-No, Cora, don't go, please. - He grabbed her arm, but she pushed him away abruptly.

-Don't touch me. Don't talk to me. You and I are not friends from this moment forward. I hate you, Cedric Diggory! - She yelled before fading from his sight.

Cedric had no clue of what just happened. He was furious, frustrated, but overall, broken.

To not talk to her? Impossible.

From all of the poeple watching the scene, Cho wouldn't stop smiling.
-If you don't have him, then nobody can. - Angelina told her. - You could have told me what you needed that information for...

-It worked. Now there's only one step left. - Cho put on her most innocent smile.

Cora, on the other hand, after getting out of the train, received the biggest surprise. And it wasn't good at all.

-How are you, dear?