37. Letters

Cora:

-I'd like to be alone, if you don't mind...

-Sure, dear, Take your time. - Molly half-smiled.

I gave her a small smile, and started walking. I approached the place, and it was hard.

My legs were about to give in at any moment since I felt it each time I touched the ground.

I crossed the fence that separated the place, and here it was. I kept walking, feeling the tears, which were stronger and had more desire to come out each time.

But what am I saying? The tears were already out, and they wouldn't stop.
-Hi, Mom. - I looked down at her grave. I hugged myself, not thinking it'd be so hard.

Narrator:

-George, she said she wants to be alone. - Mrs. Weasley told her son.

-But she needs someone. - He stared at his friend.

Molly and Cora had gone to visit Amelia's grave, but George insisted in coming along.

He didn't like the idea of her visiting her mother for the first time alone. Nobody's strong enough to take it. And less, alone; he thought.

Suddenly, Cora's legs gave in, making her fall.

-George! - But the guy had already entered the graveyard.

-Cora... - He sat by her side. - I'm here.

The girl clung onto him as if her life depended on it. She was destroyed and tired. She didn't want to cry, but resisting was impossible.
-I'm sorry, George. - She spoke in between sobs.

-Don't apologise for this. - He reassured. - Your mother is surely proud of you.

Cora, on the other hand, only cried on her friend's sweater, without any stregnth.

Looking at him, she found his eyes looking down a her.

-Better? - He spoke.

Suddenly, both of them started getting closer, until ending up looking down at each other's lips. It was like an impulse, but Cora cut it.

The girl turned to where her mother layed.
-I never told her I loved her... She constantly said it to me, and I didn't appreciate it. - She sobbed.

She began standing up slowly.

-Thanks for coming... athough I've left your sweater all... - She pointed, to which George half-smiled. - Sorry about that.

-Don't worry, I prefer you snot rather than Fred's. - And now Cora was laughing, her eyes still teary.

The truth is that, during summertime, Cora and George became closer to each other. Fred also supported her in everything and hung out with them, but his brother had a better touch on fragile topics.

When they returned to The Burrow, Cora wasn't feeling very well.
-I'll go lay down... don't wait for me for dinner. And thank you for everything, again. - She told the ones at the table.

-Cora! Before anything... this letter came for you. - Ron handed her an envelope.

-Thanks. - She smiled weakly.

Entering her room, she stretched on the bed, exhausted.

She had decided to open the letter, but she shouldn't have.

Hi, Cora.
I know you said not to speak to you again, but I really need to explain what happened in reality.

I've spoke to Anthony, and he told me that a girl askim about the dare.

Yes, it was a dare, but not to laugh at you, I swear. When I met you, I immediately knew you weeren't any kind of weirdo or nothing like that.

Everything I said that day is true, and not one day has passed in which I don't keep thinking about that kiss.

Please I don't want to bother you any more, but I had to say it.

Thoughtfully, Cedric Diggory, who hopes you'll forgive him.

P.S. You don't know how much I miss you.

-WHY?! - She complained to herself.

Cora now felt the worst. Why hadn't she let Cedric explain himself? Why hadn't she thought Cho was the one talking to him?

Anyway, it was just a dare... If not, nothing like that would have happened. Their friendship, not even the kiss... Nothing.

She grabbed a piece of parchment.

Hi, Cedric.
We can talk when the term begins, if you want.

Cora.

She wasn't one of sending letters or writing them, but Cedric deserves to know I was mistaken, Cora thought.

She sent the letter, and stretched back on the bed. Her head was spinning, and George was one of the many reasons why.

Had they almost kissed? It wasn't possible.

Someplace else, Cedric found himself in his house garden. He was practicing Quidditch sine he had nothing better to do.

-Cedric! This just came for you. - His mother called.

When the guy saw the letter, he almost fell off his broom out of excitement. Anthony pressured him to write Cora... had she replied?

Opening it, disappointment filled him.

Hello, Cedric.

I've been wondering when would our parents might meet again. Do you know when?

I've missed you ;)

With care, Cho.

-For what I see, you were expecting another letter, right? - His mother asked after notcing her son's expression.

-Probably, but I don't think she'll respond. - He was out of hope.

-The truth is that this letter came by, but it has no name. - She handed him another one.

The woman was right. There was no name on the outer part.

Cedric opened it, and a smile appeared on his face along with a slight blush.

It didn't matter how little Cora had written, it already meant something. For him, that was a chance for him to be forgiven.

-Thanks, Mom. I'll be in my room. - He smiled.

-And the other letter?

-Um, throw it, I don't care. - He shrugged before running up the stairs.

In his room, he stretched on the bed and smelled the letter, which smelled like the girl who had sent it.

He sighed and closed his eyes once again, passing though the memories of the kiss he shared with her.

No doubt it was the best, he thought before falling asleep.