44. Common room

Cora:

-And today is... study day in the common room. - I grabbed my books.

Given everyone would be at the ball, I could take some time to stay in the common room and study with the most calmness for the exams and finishing my pendant homework.

I sat by the window, where the stars and the moon could be appreciated.

Cedric:

I was nervous about the ball. All Hogwarts would have to see us... but I was even more nervous about seeing Cora. What dress would she be wearing?

-It's okay, Cedric. I'm here with you. - I looked back at Cho, who was by my side.

-It's not that... The thing is... - I stood silent. - Cho, you've told me that Cora and George are together, right? And that they were partners for the ball.

-Yes... why do you say that? - I turned her around for her to see George holding hands with a Hufflepuff from his year. Michelle.

I walked up directly to them.
-Where's Cora? Wasn't she your partner?

-What are you talking about? Cora has never been my partner. Michelle knows it. - George explained, glancing at her.

-It's true. She's the one who helped me ask George to be my partner. - Michelle smiled.

-Who's her partner, then? - George just raised an eyebrow and left along with Michelle to the dance floor.

Cora and George were never together... they were never partners... What was I thinking?

-Cedric...

-You have provoked it, right? You knew I liked Cora, but you didn't care at all. - I sneered at her. - How could you?

-Mr. Diggory! Ms. Chang! Come on, you must begint he dance along the other champions. - Professor McGonagall called us.

-Cedric... please forgive me. - Cho begged.

However, I wasn't planning on speaking to her. I would attend the stupid ball with her, and then go talk to Cora.

Cora:

I was finishing my potions homework when I started hearing music... the waltz.

I closed my eyes, and imagined what it'd be like if I had gone.

-Why are you so stupid, Cora?!

Deep down, I knew the answer. I wasn't enough for anybody. Everyone had their partners... and I had nothing.

I got closer to the window, and I could visualize everyone there. Although I couldn't distinguish many of them... except for the Weasleys... Draco... I even saw how Hermione danced with Krum before everyone's eyes.

I sighed and went back to work. I couldn't lose focus.

Cedric:

When everyone started dancing, I pulled away from Cho.
-Cedric, please! Why can't we be together?! I want you!

-Because I can't respond to your feelings. I'm sorry, but you're not the girl I think about all day. - I told her before leaving the Great Hall.

The first place that came to mind was... the library.

I went there, but it was completely empty.

I had to keep searching, until I then realised she might be in her common room.

I sprinted until arriving at the door, and made sense of my mistake.

-Come on, Cedric... it's just a riddle.

-I start the war, but I end it. I give you the strength of a thousand heroes, or I leave you unprotected. You catch me with that look, but no force makes me stay. What could I be?

Come on, Cedric, you always listened how Cora solved these riddles effortlessly... It cannot be so tricky.

I searched through my mind.

Start and end? Surely it's not the war. It can't be literal...

Strength? Heroes?

You catch me with that look... that look... those eyes I adore so much

I got it!

I stood up straight in front of the door, and sighed before saying anything. I only had one chance, and didn't want to mess it up.

-Love. - I closed my eyes instantly.

I was scared of what could happen. But then, I suddenly heard a noise. The door was moving!

-Yes!

I entered insecurely and hesitantly. I had never been in the Ravenclaw common room. It was so gorgeous and wonderful.

It was very wide and open, besides from having breathtaking views.

I walked further in, and that was when I saw her.

I don't know if my heart shattered for seeing her on her own in this day that's supposed to be special for everyone, or if it was just me.

Even if she wasn't wearing a dress, the pijama looked beautiful on her. You could see she was tired, but, still, she kept writing.

This was the moment to tell her everything, but my body wouldn't move. Shit! It's always the same.

What could I say to her?

Cora, I like you.

No.

Cora, I love everything about you. You drive me completely insane and I don't want to lose you... I don't know what I'd do if that happened.

Yes? I had no clue. My hands were sweating and I was way more nervous that usual.

She seemed to be absolutely focused since she hadn't noticed me.

I had time... No, Cedric. You must do it now.

Something always happens when we're together. This time, I would give up and I wouldn't let her go until I've expressed every word of what I feel for her.

Cora:

Wiggenweld potion... Add salamander blood until the potions turns red. Stir until it turns orange. Add more salamander blood, this time until the potion turns yellow...

-This makes no sense. - I complained.

It was a potion for beginners, but not to my eyes. It was impossible to make!

-Cora...