52. Thestrals

Narrator:

Summertime passed quickly for Cora. For a moment, she had no concern other than having fun.

Now, it was time for the final term. Cedric wouldn't be there anymore since he graduated from Hogwarts.

Cora was now at the platform, waiting for the train.
-You thought you wouldn't say goodbye? - A voice spoke from behind.

-Not that you're my father... but I like it. - Cora hugged Cedric, the owner of that voice. - I'll miss you.

-I'll see you on Christmas, okay? - Cedric told her. - Besides, I'll write to you every week if I need to.

-And I'll respond to them all. - She smiled.

In that instant, the sound of the train made itself present.

-Bye, Cedric.

-I love you! - The guy yelled when she was on the entrance of the wagon.

Once inside, Cora searched for an empty compartment. She didn't know where Fred and George were, but she felt tired, so decided to stay alone.

-Look who we have here. - A voice spoke.

-Can't I get a break? - Cora asked herself. - What do you two want?

They were the same gorillas who made fun of her. She was sick of the situation. Why were they so determined on picking on her?

That was when she realised she wasn't the target... but someone else there.
-If it isn't Loony Lovegood!

Cora:

Oh, hell, no. I wasn't going to allow this.
-Hey! Get out of here right now if you don't want any problems.

-Ooooh, I'm shaking... the two weirdos have got together. - One of them mocked, the other one laughing. - Crabbe, it's time to teach them who rules here. - He laughed, closing the door.

-Excuse me? Who do you think you are? - I spat, angrier now. The truth is that they were starting to scare me. Whether I liked it or not, they were bigger and stronger.

I glanced at Luna, who hadn't said a word. She was scared, too.
-Yeah... let's see if they can learn to shut their mouths. - She approached me.

Instantly, the door slided open, revealing a meduim-height black-haired girl from Slytherin.
-And? What are you doing here, you pair of apes? - The girl walked up to the guys.

-Oh, come on... you never let us have fun. - The tallest one complained.

Her expression showed superiority and pride.
-If you don't get out in three seconds, I'll be the one having fun... hanging your heads up as decoration in the Forbidden Forest... Go away. Now!

And both boys left without protesting.
-It's been five times already... and the term hasn't even begun. - She seemed worried. - Pansy Parkinson. Slytherin and Prefect. - She extended her hand.

-Pleasure. - I half-smiled. - Cora Fianze, and this is...

-Luna Lovegood, I know. - Pansy sighed. - Men, you know. They think a no is a yes, and a piss off means take me, I'm yours... I know what it's like. It's not nice. Sorry you had to go through that.

-You came up, luckily. - I smiled. - How do you do it? Not showing weak at all, I mean. - I sat down, to which she immitated me. - They... they didn't listen to me.

-It's just about confidence. I'm strong and ambicious and know exactly what want. No one can tell me otherwise... Hey, Lovegood, are you okay?

-Yeah, just... thanks for coming just in time. - Luna looked down.

-Don't bother. If you excuse me, I must go to the Slytherin wagon... It was nice meeting you. - She told me before leaving.

Pansy's words had given me more confidence in myself.

-Did they harm you? - Luna shook her head "no". - You know you can tell me.

-Really, I'm all right, Cora. - She gave me a small smile.

Once we arrived at the station, I said goodbye to her and went to Jeremy.

-Hey, cutie. - I petted a Thestral that pulled the carriage.

-What are you doing? - Jeremy asked me.

-Petting a Thestral. - I got on the carriage.

-A what?

-A Thestral is like a horse, similar to the mythical Pegasus. Their face is like a Dragon's, and they don't have pupils... oh, yeah, and they have wings.

-And why can't I see it? - He asked, to which I laughed.

-They're invisible creatures, except for the ones who've seen death. Because of that, superstitions say they bring you bad luck and cause all kind of disgraces to the one who sees them. However, that's not remotely true. In reality, they're incredibly smart and useful, and they have a great sense of orientation.

I recalled how I had seen my brother and mother die.
-I'm so sorry.

-Don't worry. Things always happen for a reason. - I smiled.

Narrator:

At the castle, Jeremy and Cora went straight to the Great Hall. Only with the difference that all eyes were on her.
-Ignore them. - The guy told her after seeing his friend's worried expression.

-I'm trying... - She whispered.

At the banquet, the House selection went by, and not only that, but also the presentation of the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.
-Let's give a warm welcome to the professor Dolores Umbridge. - Dumbledore spoke.

-Merlin... such tastes that Dumbledore has when hiring someone. - Jeremy commented.

-I don't think it was Dumbledore. - Cora responded. - This woman works at the Ministry. - She recalled what Harry had told her. - Which means Hogwarts is...

-Nothing good. - He glanced at her. - This won't be a good year.

-Don't remind me. - Cora turned to the Weasley twins, who were giggling at Umbridge's speech. - She has no idea of what's coming for her.

Or what was coming for them...

Marathon 2/2