Chapter 12

As the monthly exam drew closer, the study atmosphere in the class got stronger.

Song Yi walked straight in through the door of class ten and saw even the study-slackers cramming last minute.

“Where’s my physics book? …Where’s my book? Did I lose my book?! The last time I saw it was before last month’s monthly exam.”

“Can you be a little quieter? I’m trying to memorize ‘Jing Ke’s assassination of King Qin’ while you’re shrieking so loud next to me. Who are you trying to bother to death?”

The whole path was in chaos.

So when he saw Duan Jiayan also reading a chemistry book, Song Yi felt that he was witnessing a rare event.

As if.

Song Yi looked at Duan Jiayan and almost thought he was blind.

“Xiao-Duan,” Song Yi pondered for a bit and finally cautiously asked: “Did something go wrong back home?”

“…” Duan Jiayan sometimes felt that the way Song Yi thinks was very magical.

“Yeah,” Duan Jiayan said: “My parents both went bankrupt. If I don’t study anymore, I can only hope to work at the construction site and move bricks for a living.”

“…” No matter how weird his train of thought was, Song Yi realized that he was telling a joke. He replied: “Moving bricks at the construction site is such a waste. You are a mountain of gold, yourself, so you must be more resourceful.”

“Away with your bullshit.” Duan Jiayan said with a smile: “I promised my mom that I’d rank at least fiftieth from the bottom in this monthly exam.”

“Isn’t that easy? There are so many exam study groups in First Middle, I’ll carry you.”

Duan Jiayan: “No.”

Song Yi: “???”

Duan Jiayan: “Cheating is a shameful act.”

Song Yi: “…”

Hearing this coming from Duan Jiayan made it extra hilarious.

Duan Jiayan: “I promised my mom that I wouldn’t cheat.”

He said as he continued reading his chemistry book. Song Yi remembered that Duan Jiayan was someone who keeps his word. If he promised to do something, then he wouldn’t go back on it. Song Yi was just thinking that Duan Jiayan had some redeeming qualities when-

“What the heck?” Duan Jiayan tossed his chemistry book onto the table. He asked blankly: “Why does one element have so many valences? Do they not get into fights?”

Song Yi almost laughed to death.

A day passed and Duan Jiayan had, unbelievably, studied for more than half the day. Thus, Song Yi decided to test the results of his learning.

Song Yi’s grades were also poor, but, compared to Duan Jiayan, he was still a little better. At least he knew that the valences wouldn’t get into fights.

Advertisements

He tested Duan Jiayan on a few knowledge points.

Duan Jiayan was nowhere close to an answer.

Song Yi advised: “This isn’t working. Why don’t you find a top student to review some key knowledge points with you? For the previous monthly exam, Cheng Chi managed to improve 100 plus places all because he had a super-smart girlfriend to save him.”

Duan Jiayan agreed with what Song Yi said.

He was just wondering where he could find such a top student to save him from this crisis when Zhao Minjun entered the classroom.