Chapter 48

An alpha being willing to carry an omega’s inhibitor showed how much he wants to cherish and protect.

Even someone as loud and rambunctious as Duan Jiayan knew that such a move by Lu Xingci can’t just be summed up as him simply being attentive.

A few days later, he thought back to the inhibitor. Duan Jiayan’s thoughts would inexplicably be reminded of the noisy cafe, and the way Lu Xingci spoke to him.

He felt quite perplexed.

The other’s gentleness was like a net, slowly reeling him in. Duan Jiayan belatedly realised some things were gradually going out of his control.

After the parent-teacher meeting, Fu Yuan went home to pack for her move to Hai City. She had planned to leave on the weekends which was good as Duan Jiayan would have time to send her off.

But on Wednesday morning, He Yunsheng’s condition suddenly deteriorated. The doctors advised them to hurry and bring him to the doctors in Hai City. Fu Yuan had no choice but to buy tickets for the flight on that very day.

Duan Jiayan received Fu Yuan’s call while he was still in class.

Fu Yuan first gave him a call and perhaps realising that he had no way to answer in class, dropped the call and sent him a message instead.

[Ah Ye, Yunsheng’s condition got worse. I’ve discussed it with Uncle He and we’ve decided to take the plane to Hai City this afternoon.]

Duan Jiayan saw the news and immediately replied, [What time’s the flight?]

Fu Yuan, [4.50pm]

She hesitated for a little while and sent a follow-up text, [It will take around three hours to travel to and fro the school and airport, it’ll be too much trouble. You concentrate in class, mom will come back next month to celebrate the new year with you.]

Duan Jiayan directly replied, [I’ll come to send you off.]

After receiving the news, Duan Jiayan took a look at the time.

It was almost three o’clock, with ten more minutes left till the end of class. It would take approximately 30 minutes to get to the airport from school.

After class, Duan Jiayan told Song Yi, “I’m going to the airport to send my mom off. If any teacher asks later, help me ask for the afternoon off.”

Song Yi immediately asked, “Auntie is leaving now? Wasn’t she leaving this weekend?”

Duan Jiayan, “He Yunsheng’s condition is too serious.”

After saying that, he headed for the backdoor and left the classroom.

Seeing him leave, Lu Xingci was deep in thought.

After Duan Jiayan left, Chen Yue asked in a hushed tone, “His family…?”

Lu Xingci shook his head, indicating he was not too sure of matters himself.

When Duan Jiayan reached the airport, Fu Yuan happened to be checking them in for the flight.

At this time of day, there were not many people in the airport. Sunlight shone in from the roof, illuminating the grey and white airport, turning it clear and bright.

Advertisements

Duan Jiayan first caught sight of He Yunsheng.

He was too obvious, a skinny little boy with pale skin sitting in a wheelchair. Passers-by would ever so often turn to look his way.

Duan Jiayan walked up to him.

As Fu Yuan and He Cheng were getting their boarding passes, He Yunsheng was the first to see him.