Chapter 39

As this was the first time he encountered such a situation, Duan Jiayan was still in a daze as he watched Director Jiang storm over angrily.

It was Lu Xingci who pulled his arm and started running with him in the opposite direction.

Duan Jiayan quickly reacted and hastened his footsteps, running alongside him.

Director Jiang never thought that the two students would run away as soon as he made his way over.

How guilty they must be!

Anger rose in his heart as Director Jiang started giving chase. He frequently caught couples while on patrol and was very familiar with the routes these students will take as they escape. He took a shortcut in the garden and sure enough, almost caught up to them.

Duan Jiayan pulled Lu Xingci into a turn and suddenly realised something was not right. He shouted as he ran, “Lu Xingci! Why are we running?”

“Because Director Jiang,” Lu Xingci paused. “Thinks we are having an early romance?”

“We can just explain it to him?”

“How do you want to explain this?” Lu Xingci asked. “Another reflection essay on the flag-raising podium?”

Duan Jiayan also realised, in Director Jiang’s eyes, the both of them were already in an early romance. If they were to be caught again, it’ll be like they did not learn anything from the previous punishment, a mistake made twice, worthy of a heavier punishment.

Duan Jiayan sighed in his heart as Lu Xingci studied their surroundings. It was almost time for class ten to perform, to keep up this chase with Director Jiang was not ideal.

“Let’s run towards the stage—”

Duan Jiayan also realised what was going on, “There’s a crowd there right? Let’s go go go!”

The garden’s exit was at Yi Zhong’s junior high section, even further than that was the sports hall, the stage is right beside it.

Duan Jiayan was not aware that Director Jiang had such high stamina. A mid-thirty-year-old man had been chasing them for the past ten minutes, even intermittently waving around his flashlight while threatening them to behave.

In order to reach the stage, one has to pass the auditorium.

The students in years one and two were arranged according to their classes and seated down in order. With the increase in people, the amount of foreign alpha pheromones would also increase, as such Duan Jiayan’s exposed skin started to hurt.

He instinctively clutched Lu Xingci’s arm tighter. After a while, feeling that it is not enough, his palm slid down the boy’s firm arm into his palm. He held tightly onto Lu Xingci’s hand, thinking that maybe this way they can increase the amount of contact with one another.

Lu Xingci noticed his movements and turned around, “You’re hurting? Let’s stop running.” At most, he’ll just go up the flag-raising podium and read another essay.

After running for so long, Duan Jiayan’s excitement has eclipsed his pain. He tugged on Lu Xingci’s hand and swung it, “Run! Run run run! Fast faster! I feel like we’ll shake him off soon!”

Lu Xingci watches as his eyes brightened. They were clearly being chased by Director Jiang yet this person was still so happy and exuberant. He decided to play along, “Alright, let’s shake him off.”

The both of them picked up speed and Director Jiang was almost at his wit’s end. Somehow, from somewhere, he took out a loudspeaker and shouted as he ran, “The two boys in front! Stop! Stop! Stop right there!! Which class are you two from—”