The Other Side of the Tale

Hey guys, first chapter is up! I hope y'all enjoy and if you did, don't forget to leave a vote and comment! :*

"Genji, have you ever heard of the dragon's curse?"

The little boy shook his head, his mouth hanging slightly ajar, showing the chipped baby teeth that were a testimony to his rambunctious behavior. His eyes were intent on his father, who sat on his heels with an air of majesty and wisdom radiating about him, or maybe it was just the dozens of candles lighting up the dim room that made him look like those holy statues present in their shrines. Either way, Genji wasn't fazed and only looked at him in a way any kid would their father.

Sojiro Shimada beckoned his young son to his side as he tapped at the space on his robed lap. Genji scrambled on all fours in compliance, eager for the aging man to continue.

"Tell me about it, dad!" he squeaked, the toes in his sandals curling in and out due to excitement.

His chubby hands couldn't help gripping at the silken fabric of Sojiro's garment, but the man kept the smile on his face. He didn't mind at all; not as much as the clan Elders did anyway, who stood in the background as they watched with lifeless, nonchalant faces. It was obvious from the flicker in their eyes that a thousand things were running through their minds, but it wasn't in their place to talk out of the blue, so they kept their mouth shut.

The yakuza leader was oblivious to the men's stares and only chuckled at his son's zeal. He patted Genji's head as a gesture of fondness and gave in to his little heart's desire.

"Genji," Sojiro began, his voice smooth and homely like velvet sheets. "Do you remember the story I told you? The tale of two dragons and what happened to them?"

The little boy cast his eyes up to the coffered ceiling of the room before nodding with stars in his vibrant brown eyes.

"Yes, yes!" He exclaimed in a heartbeat. "The dragon of the north wind got beaten up by the dragon of the south wind, because his brother wanted power. After that, he can't lead properly anymore and everything went bad. But then one day, a man comes to the dragon of the south wind and asks why he's sad. The dragon says he's sad because he killed his brother, and then, the man revealed himself to be his brother and they start fixing their friendship all over again as humans."

"Alright," Sojiro whispered, thinking his son's interpretation could use some more work.

"But what if I told you that there was more to the story?'

Genji couldn't believe his young ears, and they perked up at the revelation. "There's more?"

His father smiled and laughed. "Yes, my son. Before the mysterious stranger came to the dragon of the south wind, something else happened that I did not get to tell you before." He paused and looked away, hesitance apparent in his pale features. Nonetheless, he looked back at the child before him and ultimately decided to throw caution to the air.

"Do you know the goddess Benten, Genji?"

Genji skated his small, brown orbs back to the tall ceiling. This time, however, nothing of any semblance to the name came to mind.

"No, I don't know her, dad. Who is she?"

"Benten is the guardian of all dragons. She uses one as a steed to fly through the heavens and watch over the dragons living here on the mortal world. She makes sure none of the dragons here do anything bad, either to one another or to the humans.