The Black Death

So how ya doin? :3

Enjoy loves and thanks for all the support!  :*

Time heals as they say, but in your case it proved to be more of a distraction than anything else. Serving as a diplomat to the emperor as it was expected of you being a princess of Japan, you've had your fair share of responsibility shoved down your throat and have met people of varying economic degrees that made you want to tear your hair off. In most cases it was the extreme stress of disappointing anyone who expected so much of you that made you stay up until the clock struck twelve.

Your acquaintances were often civil, but you couldn't help but feel the scrutiny boring into your back whenever you turned from them. Everyone who didn't live under a rock knew about your famous life story, more specifically your time as a servant girl until your reunion with the emperor. When a ceremony was held in honor of your proclamation as a member of the royal family, the proud country of the shining sun rejoiced and expressed their support through the web.

It was nice, finally having a family you could call your own and have breakfast with in the morning and do other family things you have yet to discover. Even better for the soul was fulfilling the roles you were meant to fulfill: As diplomat you were to represent the whole country in foreign affairs with the emperor, but with your lack of proper education about the different practices and customs that went on during these formal events, you found yourself standing many steps away from the rest of your family who have earned such learning from early on in their upbringing.

Nonetheless this barrier of ignorance did not deter you. With the help of the emperor you had access to opportunities of learning that enhanced your communication skills and critical thinking, both of which were fundamental in your role as representative. You studied and studied, observed how the other princesses in the family did it, and after a year of extensive studying, you had grown into a more mature and equipped professional, ready to take on the world--any country and any face.

There will always be the uncertainty among your peers, some of which who may never see you outside the light of being a simpleton with humble origins.

Their demeaning way of thought would sometimes pull your spirits to the ground, and every time they did, you had to remind yourself that there were always the majority of the population, those who saw the world in a much more innocent and colorful way--your people.

When not traveling to private visits outside of the country, the emperor could be found socializing with the common folk, in hospitals or organizations that dedicated themselves to care for those who were incapacitated, abandoned, or ill. The smiles that stretched their faces whenever they catch sight of the emperor always made your heart swell with awe. Your uncle might be regarded as a ceremonial figure, but you've come to realize that the truth may not be as simple as that. To those who didn't know any better, the emperor was a symbol of hope in trying times and a symbol of unity when despair threatened to break up the nation within. His role of supplying morale was just as important as the legislative powers of the Diet, and you prayed to be the light of your people too, to keep this land as bright and radiant as the other nations paint Japan to be.

"How are you faring, my dear?" You heard your uncle ask from beside you. "You've been quiet for some time now. Is everything okay?"

At the moment you were in one of those charity visits, at a home for the blind in fact. Despite their absence of sight, these merry folk continue to laugh and smile, flashing their pearly whites as they shared stories with their peers, finding solace in the sounds of their black world.

There was no reason to dwell under a storm cloud.

"I'm just taking in the atmosphere," you replied with a smile, momentarily breaking your gaze to spare your uncle a warm look. "Everyone here is so content, so happy even when they miss out on so much. It's admirable."