He's Not All That Bad

Hey there y'all! How's it goin? Okay, next chapter is up!

Thanks for all the support I've been getting in this book, and thank you for sticking by it even though it'll be an enormous piece of work ;-;

Lego!

The smooth floors of the Shimada palace suddenly felt like an uneven expanse of rugged road, and you staggered back as your hands tried their hardest to hide the horror that twisted your then pallid countenance. Genji's helpless screaming subdued in volume, or maybe it was the shock of it all still ringing in your ears that muted almost everything out. Either way, you just watched. You just watched as the elders all came rushing in through the half-parted entrance with their flowing garments billowing with their haste. You watched as they momentarily shared your expression of terror, as they fell under the blow of paralysis. You watched as one of them swallowed a thick lump back down his throat; the sweat running down his temple was a tell-tale sign of him possibly fainting anytime soon.

And yet, even as the medics and nurses passed by you as fleeting blurs of white, even when you were certain that they had dialed the nearest hospital, you couldn't do anything but remain rooted on the spot you planted yourself upon in your panic.

Hanzo's father is dead.

The nagging in your head was persistent, and it mortified you all the more to hear a subtle voice at the back of your mind saying that the nurses were all idiots for trying to call aid for a man who was clearly dead.

There's still a chance--there's still hope!

"Otou-san!" Genji's grip shook the entirety of his father's frail arm, and his ardent crying threatened to bring the very walls of this room down to the rubble of its foundation. He then turned to the scurrying nurses and shot a hot glare at their direction, "Hurry up and do something dammit!"

"We're doing our best, Lord Genji-"

"Well do better!" the young man snapped with the little thread of patience he had left within holding him back. "He's not waking up!"

The whole lot of them nodded, and they proceeded to perform their studied protocol at double speed; anything to keep the younger Shimada from bursting a vein, especially when he was at his wit's end with worrying about the welfare of his father.

"It's going to be alright, dad," Genji whispered lowly so only he and his father could hear. "I'm here."

What followed after that were a bunch of prayers that the lad never thought he'd ever recite outside of ceremonies and religious occasions. When he heard the virtuous words slip past his lips, he was reminded of his vulnerability. He was reminded how fleeting everything could be with a snap of the fingers.

As for you, you finally found the little drop of courage that it took for you to move an inch back, then a step, and then a sprint, and very soon, you found yourself taking off back into the direction of the secret gardens, where you just recalled you've dropped your phone in a hurried fit, leaving Hanzo to wait on the other line before running off to see the cause of his brother's wailing.

Once the soft feel of the grass tickled the soles of your feet, you immediately dove down onto your knees and groped for the feel of your precious device, lost in the sea of dark vegetation blanketed by the dismal shadows of the night.

"(Y/N)?! (Y/N)! Where are you?"

Hanzo's voice tore through the static air, and with the sudden sound both comforting and guiding you, it didn't take long for you to find the faint glow of your phone in the grass, and you reached for it without another second of hesitation.