The Clan Leader Rises

How are y'all doin? :3

Thanks so much for all the votes and support and comments I've gotten from this story. Y'all are amazing! :D

So here it is, another chapter! Sorry if it's too long!

Enjoy! :*

You mentioned nothing of your and Genji's late but memorable discussion that night and instead focused on making things right with Hanzo using his younger brother's options of civility and a deep sense of mutual awareness. You recalled your lover stuttering from the other line with a voice ladened with gratitude, fatigue, and remorse; you tried to calm him down several times, calling out to him in hush, quiet tones in the hopes of taming his agitated disquiet.

He finally relaxed for a little while to be able to listen to you, and you seized the opportunity to step forward and say every single thing that you've been itching to say for the past several minutes you've spent with Genji.

"I shouldn't have cut you off like that," you began with a lump in your throat. "It was rude of me...I should have put myself in your shoes instead, see how it would feel like to be you, staying alone all the way over there," you sighed, running your unoccupied palm up and down your sleeved arm. "I'm so sorry, Lord Hanzo."

"My love," he said with a clear smile radiating his words. "I am to blame also. I know I sounded rather...mean--unfeeling even. But I never wanted you to think that I didn't give my family any thought in all this-"

"It's okay. I never thought that. Sure it crossed my mind that you were clearly acting like an insensitive jerk towards your dad, but...I never thought of you as this really bad, beyond hope kind of person."

"So does that mean you won't kill me when I get back?"

You fondly rolled your eyes at that: You knew he was jesting, but there was clearly some truth that littered his playful demeanor, and you couldn't help chuckling at his unexpected attempt of appeasing you.

Oh, how the tables have turned!

"We'll see," you said with a victorious smile and a mere shrug of the shoulders.

The sound of his deep, raspy laugh made its way into your ears like a melody, and you melted like putty on the spot as the hot red that bloomed on your cheeks spread down to the pillar of your neck and then even further down your body. His laugh was the definition of perfection: masculine but not void of genuine emotion. You felt the happiness radiating off of him, and you blushed further upon realization that he was this way just because you said something so trivial.

If he were here you'd eat him up alive for being so cute.

"You shouldn't have to wait long. Before you know it, I'll be there."

"I..." you began for a moment before pausing, unconsciously fiddling with the nail on your thumb before continuing, "Do you think you'll go on more trips like this in the future when you're finally clan leader? The really long ones that'll last months?"

The fear and pain that swam in your voice didn't go through and pass the other ear, and Hanzo's chest tightened where he was as he tried to come up with words of comfort that'll hopefully bring a ray of sunshine on your crestfallen visage.

And maybe a drop of reassurance in his young, burdened heart.

"It won't be often," Hanzo replied with uncertainty. "But I can assure you that I'll have less of these trips once I'm older. Not too old I hope though. I mean look at father--he seems to be doing fine for his age."