Falling Out

Breaking news: shit about to go down.

Hanzo couldn't believe what his Uncle Shintaro just suggested he do.

Nip it in the bud.

His uncle--his own family--just basically told him to take Genji down, eliminate him.

Kill him.

No, I won't go through with this.

The clan leader wracked his head for any other ideas that might satisfy both sides; in all honesty, he didn't think the whole council would also approve of such drastic measures, but their worry and anger were, in Hanzo's opinion, practically understandable, and if they did run out of options to direct this wayward Shimada...

Well, the clan always came first.

It wasn't as if Genji had done anything for its benefit; he has actually done the opposite--becoming a liability, wasting resources, everything his uncle Shintaro has listed off in his heated rambling.

At the moment, Hanzo knew he'd be doing his father a disservice if he let his younger brother go on with his shenanigans at the expense of everybody else looking up to him, but at the same time what father would take joy in the knowledge that his favorite son has been murdered in cold, hard blood? An honorable killing but murder no less.

This was getting too far out of hand. If Shintaro really has done what Hanzo had ordered him to, the whole council would have been shaking at that moment: from wrath and devastation to fear and hopelessness. They didn't want the law catching up to them, especially not if the law happens to bear the mark of Overwatch. It's simply a defeat they couldn't rise out of again.

It got Hanzo sweating at the thought that he would be the final leader of the Shimada clan.

The legacy of his forefathers, everything they've built throughout the centuries--it would all be for naught. A waste that would disregard all of his father's sacrifices.

How could Genji do such a thing--placing them in such a situation that would doom them in the most humiliating, dishonorable way possible?

Composing himself, the Shimada entered the elders' room where they've already been discussing back-up plans and voicing out their concerns in quiet but sharp, raspy murmurs.

"Lord Hanzo!" exclaimed one the moment he stepped foot inside the dim quarters. "We need answers, no--we need a sure plan for this catastrophe!"

"I've had my eye on your bothersome brother, my lord, but I could never have seen this happening in all my years!"

"Now, now, settle down. The leader has arrived and I'm sure he'll take the time to listen, but first we're going to have to give him our ears to see what he has in store for us." Shintaro's ever calm voice rang out like smooth silk among their mindless gawking, and immediately they stilled, hanging their heads in a bow as they waited for their leader to address them.

"We quickly need to decide our next course of action," he began, but his tawny eyes were keen on Shintaro. "Overwatch has been keeping their eye on us even before Genji disclosed his identity. We are limited in our options, and it is my displeasure to say that some of our men may not even be trusted enough to carry any activity from now on."

"What do you propose, Lord Hanzo?" Elder Togashi asked frantically, voice cracking with stutters and stammers as he wiped the sweat off his brow. "What should we do?"

"I..." Hanzo shut his eyes in defeat. "I don't know. I don't know what to do. I didn't think this could even happen--I've been very careful throughout my reign."