Taken

Hey guys! How's it goin? I'm working on a really long Kubo and the 2 Strings animation so imma give y'all another chapter before I forget.

Yeaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!

Thanks for the yearlong support I've gotten from you guys. Your kind words have really helped me through tough times--times when I thought my writing wasn't good enough anymore and I stressed about it day and night. So from the bottom of my heart--thank you so much!!

Anyhow, let's go!!!

"So you're the Hanzo Shimada?" The emperor asked, his thirty foot frame easily towering over the clan leader's much smaller form.

In the shadow of Japan's divine leader, Hanzo did the unimaginable and fidgeted, eyes darting sideways just so he wouldn't have to look up at the monarch's burning scrutiny.

"Yes," he replied nonetheless, trying to keep his spine as straight as it could be. "That would be me."

But despite Hanzo's greatest attempts at exuding confidence, the emperor still managed to see through the poor facade like thin mist, and he rolled his eyes to the side. "Are you really the best that my niece can do? There are so many worthy contenders out there that are willing to die for her hand. Are you even willing to lay your life for her, Mr. Shimada?"

"You know I am, your excellency. And what may my other competitors have that I don't? What makes me less worthy for the hand of your niece?"

"Well, marrying her would certainly be good for your business now, won't it, Mr. Shimada?"

"My clan is already prosperous as it is. I do not need her name to add to my fortune. I only want to support her and cherish her forever."

"Well, that's a shame." The emperor clicked his tongue and his robes billowed with a loud woosh when he snapped his body back to pace away. "I know it's a feat nowadays, but don't you think a marriage that only lasts until the husband reaches thirty years old is a waste of a perfectly good relationship? If my niece were to marry someone else, say your brother, she may just get the chance to celebrate her golden anniversary."

"H-How did you know about the curse?" Hanzo's pupils shrunk to peas as he took a shaky step back despite their already satisfactory distance apart.

However, the emperor only laughed as he took a much bigger step forward, shaking the empty ground beneath. "Ha! Do you really think such a big secret can be contained forever? And how is Talon working out for you? Have they already given you definite answers?"

"They'll get there," the Shimada replied. "I have utmost trust in them."

"And if they fail?" the other challenged hotly.

"Then I shall find another way. I'll risk everything," Hanzo promised. "I'll risk everything if it means I'll get to live a happy life with your niece, your highness."

"Happiness was never meant for you ever since the day you were born into this world. You know that, don't you Hanzo?"

"I...I..."

"Well? What do you say, Hanzo?"

"..."

"Hanzo?" The tone of his voice lightened, and it brought a little bit of comfort for the Shimada to start breathing properly again.

He blinked, seeing a blur of still water before him, and as quickly as it had appeared, the blackness returned.

"Hanzo?"