Light

Hey guys! Thanks so much for all the support I'm getting in this story, and I hope y'all will enjoy this chapter.

Oh yeah >:)

Setting the parcel down on your thin beige futon, you eyed the package over one more time just to make sure this gift of friendship was not some fragment of your own imagination, a sorry illusion made by your own loneliness.

They do say: "If it's too good to be true, then it probably is."

Upon opening it with care, you were even more certain that all of this was nothing more than a good dream. You gave a quick gasp, and with gentle fingers, you lightly pinched at the silken fabric and lifted it higher for you to fully see.

"Is it really?" you murmured, eyes widening as you recalled the pastel fabric, the lustrous intricate floral patterns scattered here and there, and the gold-accented ivory obi, lying folded at the bottom of the shallow box. You needed not to look a second time to know that this was the kimono at the fair--the same kimono you eyeballed and yearned for, the exact one they put you in after mistaking you for a girl that apparently looked like you.

It was the kimono of your dreams; an attire that would fit the empress herself, now in the hands of a servant girl such as yourself!

You nearly dropped it in fear of staining it.

However you wanted to wear it again so badly! And this time, maybe get the chance to admire yourself in front of the mirror in the servants' bathroom without the call of being a responsible servant girl yanking you back.

"Oh, but I still have work to do," you groaned, trying your hardest to put the beautiful garment as neatly as you were able to back inside the box. Hiding it under the covers of your thin mattress, you stood up, eyed at it one more time, and made your way up to report to your master.

For the past several days, you've been thinking a lot in whatever spare time you got, and with each step closer towards the heir's quarters, you were more determined to voice out the concern, if not more of a harmless uncertainty, that nagged at the back of your brain.

Should I ask him today?

Your lips parted, and you tried to think of words that might set the mood just right. It was forming, just buzzing at the tip of your tongue, when suddenly, a loud thumping sound from directly above you reached your ears, and you paled, knowing well where that spot in the castle is.

"Hanzo? Hanzo!" you screamed in concern, picked the pace, and ran up the staircase that led to his level.

Your bare feet made dull thumps as you ran, and your soles skidded painfully across the wooden floors as you tried to make a sudden halt for it.

"Lord Hanzo!" Your adrenaline intensified at the scene that laid before you, and you gripped the sides of the sliding doors to steady your shaken person from fainting altogether.

Your master was hunched, his brow glued to the ground as his legs folded beneath him. You couldn't see a trace of skin on his face, covered by the shadow brought by his matting hair and sprawled black locks.

With no hesitation, you ran over to the heir, knelt down, and placed trembling palms on his tensed, arched back.

"Lord Hanzo? What's hurting you?" you asked.

His head jerked up, and you gasped at the sight of his eyes: a sickening pure white, with the amber pupils completely gone.

You jumped back, landing roughly on your bottom. You barely felt the bruising impact.against your skin; all that really raged through your blood was a suffocating concoction of fear and crippling terror that rendered you immobile. To add to it, he started advancing towards you on all fours like a caged lion; mouth curled into a snarl and lined with rows of sharp, glinting teeth; and fingers that resembled claws, easily able to cut and tear through flesh.