Triggers

Hi y'all :3 how's it goin?

anyhow here's the next chapter--hope y'all held on to your horses cuz it's a long one X3

Les go!!

"So your mother was supposed to give this to you as a gift when you were four then?" you asked, marveling at the yellow scarf as you ran your fingers along its length. 

"Beautiful, isn't it?" he hummed in agreement and sat down on the soft edge of the lower bunk bed. "And if I had not broken in the palace, I may have never found it. Still, it is peculiar to think that no one has ever notified me of mother's gift in all my years there--not the servants and not even father." Hanzo then bit his lip. "Do you think he purposely hid it from me, beloved?"

"I don't see why your father would do that, Hanzo." You sat down beside him and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. "He might be stern with you, but he was definitely not malicious as to deny you your mother."

"Then why didn't I get it sooner? This would have comforted me greatly in my youth when I needed it the most. For the second time, I feel cheated: This was meant to be with me decades ago, and I could have been a more hopeful man back then."

"Hanzo, I may not have the answer to that, as to why you didn't have your mother's last gift with you growing up..." You cupped his face and made him look at you. "But I can tell you that even without it, your mother has always watched over you--she loves you too much to leave you alone in this world."

"Beloved, you comfort me. Thank you."

You smiled in acknowledgement and shifted your gaze down your lap, failing to see Hanzo's studious eyes examining the painting you have made on the expanse of the beige bedroom wall. He noticed the homage to the traditional Japanese style of painting that mainly consisted of inky lines and soft rolling landscapes. It was relatively monochrome, save for the parts that were red, and it looked almost like cut out pieces of paper stapled onto the wall. There was little shading overall, but the longer Hanzo looked at the painting, he began to notice an empty plain patch that bore no vestige of black or red, unlike the majority of the adorned areas about it.

"Why is that empty?" he asked and jerked his bearded chin to the direction of the undecorated patch. 

"I..." you began sheepishly. "I saw the news on television about what happened at the Shimada castle and I forgot about the painting completely. I was panicking...I did not know where to begin my next rescue if they happened to have gotten a hold of you once more."

For a while he said nothing, and you were afraid you had said something unpleasant. You rushed to apologize, but by the time you opened your mouth, the mattress bounced back beside you as Hanzo stood up and abruptly walked out of the room. You could not move and was stuck there on where you sat, even when he came back with your homemade paints and the paintbrush you had dropped in hand.

"W-What are you doing?" You had finally found your voice, but it was still very much quiet.

"I'm going to finish what you've started," he simply replied, back facing towards you as he proceeded to shake the ink container and soften the bristles on the brush. "Artworks should not be left in incompletion--especially masterpieces made by beautiful artists."

The strain you felt from worrying seconds ago morphed into a giddiness at hearing such compliment from Hanzo. You giggled and decided to humor him, standing up to hug him from behind.

"Why that is such a nice thing to say, Mr. Shimada," you purred, burrowing your face against the cloth of his kyudo-gi. You heard his breath hitch when you put your bare hands on his front, one of which positioned above his naked chest.