24- cloud nine

Pls he's so fine
-

Zayn's POV

Who knew moving into an apartment took this much work? I've been shopping nonstop for appliances which I needed, set up my utilities and unpacked boxes which took forever. Doniya insisted we scrub every room, as well as the walls, door handles and all storage areas. Though I thought it was a tad excessive, I never bother arguing with the women in my family about certain things.

"Are we still painting your walls later?" She inquires, then folds her arms when she sees me relaxing on my bed.

"Doniya, I'm knackered." I whine.

"No, you're just being a bum."

"I did all the heavy lifting." I roll onto my side, "I already told Aylin we're not painting today. It's too much work."

She groans, "You're so lazy, it's not even funny."

I sit up, frowning, "My back hurts and you've been nagging me nonstop every freakin' minute under my roof! I was laying down for not even five minutes and you're doing it again."

"Maybe if you pulled your weight around here, I wouldn't have to nag you." She tosses the paintbrush on my bed which bounces directly on my shin.

"Ow!" I scowl at her before lifting my aching self off the bed, "Are you serious!?"

"That was an accident!" She holds her hands up in surrender, then turns around, "Whatever, I'm just gonna continue slaving away making your dinner."

I follow her into the kitchen, "Nobody said you had to do that. I offered, so don't even try playing that card."

"Fine." She tosses the rag that was on her shoulder onto the table, "You have a go at it. You know how to cook?"

"Yes, actually." I scoff, "You're overworking yourself for no reason, then getting cranky with me. I'm not trying to take advantage of you being here, Don. Nor do I want you feeling like you have to do more than you want."

Her shoulders relax with a deep sigh, "I know. I'm sorry, baby brother. I know how much work moving out can be, so I just took it upon myself."

I shake my head, instantly feeling the annoyance diminish due to her apology, "It's fine. You chill and put your feet up. I got this."

She smiles slightly, "I'm not even tired. I don't mind finishing the dish."

"You sure?" I ask, which she responds with by grabbing the oven mitts, "I'm sorry for raising my voice."

"It's fine. Though your neighbours are going to think you're a prick." She jokes, making light of the brief sibling tiff we just had.

"Want some help?"

"Set the table. Is Aylin coming?"

"Yeah."

"Do you have a table cloth?"

"Uh..." I look around, scratching the back of my neck, "Not yet."

"Coasters?"

"No." I wince.

My sister looks visibly annoyed since she clearly told me to note it down earlier when we were shopping together, but she lets it go anyway.

"Do you have an old, clean sheet?"

"I do." I nod.

"Well, use that." She throws her hands up, "Do I have to think of everything?"

Without answering, I walk back into my bedroom to grab a black sheet since we're having Chicken Karahi as the main dish. It's bound to make a bit of a mess.