54- elsewhere

Zayn's POV

"Okay, next one." Luna speaks up, "Who would win in a fight between Wolverine and Black Panther?"

I scoff at her absurd question, "Trick question. You can't do different universes."

"Do you hear that?"

I look to my right briefly, then quickly back at the busy road ahead, "Hear what?"

"I think it's the nerd alert." She jokes. Smart-ass. I've been trying to suppress my laughter every time she takes a jab at me, but it's impossible, "No need to be so technical. I can see why Aylin calls you grandpa."

My eyes widen, "She calls me that?"

"To your face. I don't know why you're acting surprised." She deadpans. True, "Now answer."

"Black Panther." I finally respond without much deliberation, "He's super fast and his suit is made of vibranium! And don't get me started on the fact that Logan can't die," I point my finger at her, "because he can and did multiple times."

"Calm down, I agree with you." She laughs, "Let's see... if you could change the sky to any colour, without the scientific reasoning behind it, then what colour would you change it to?"

"Hmm..." I look out the window at the clouded sky, "I don't know. I like it blue, but maybe green?"

"Ew. I'd say red."

"Red?" I look her way again, "And you have the nerve to ew my answer."

"It would make for some good photos."

"That's your reason? Just go outside after sunset, genius." I push her head playfully, "You kids and your pics. Ever go outside? Clearly not."

"Grandpa's savage." She laughs.

I laugh along, trying to think of another question to ask since she's been the one doing all the asking.

We've been stuck in traffic for the past fifteen minutes due to road works on the way to her school. It was between asking each other bizarre questions or hearing Luna recite acronyms out loud in preparation for her test like she did for the past few days. Workaholism is definitely in their blood.

Suddenly, the music stops, so I look up at the radio which notifies me of an incoming call from Aylin, "It's your sister." I inform Luna, "You are now connected to my Bluetooth, Aylin Kara."

"Zayn?" Her voice echoes in the car, "Did you get Luna yet?"

"Like, ten minutes ago, lady." Luna responds for me, "Chill out."

I turn my head to look at her, smiling with amusement. "Oh, thank goodness." Aylin sighs with relief, "Thank you so much. I'm sorry for making this a habit-"

"I told you it's no biggie, babe." I ruffle Luna's perfectly plaited hair, "Your baby sister is in good hands."

"You need to stop doing that." She swats my hand, "I'm not in good hands."

I chuckle, "I think it's a good look for the model student."

She glares at me before redirecting her attention to the mirror as she loosens her hair to fix it.

"Zayn, could you take me off speaker real quick?" Aylin asks, so I do just that as I put the phone to my ear.

"Done."

"I'm just so out of it." She sighs defeatedly, "Honestly, I don't know how much longer I can put up with being treated like shīt here."