66- planning

Zayn's POV

"Zayn, nice to see you." I'm greeted by Aylin's dad once he's opened the door for me, "Come on in."

Though I came here specifically to talk to him, I wasn't expecting to see him so soon... or for him to be the one inviting me in. Gosh. I take a deep breath to compose myself.

"What brings you here?" He asks once I've stepped inside with a bouquet of flowers that was initially supposed to be for his wife.

"Aylin invited me over for dinner."

"Oh. Right, yes. We're having lasagna tonight." He passes me, but what doesn't get past me is the whiff of smoke in his trail, "They're just getting dessert from Cloud Cafe. Luna's driving."

"Luna?!"

He chuckles, waving me over to follow him into the kitchen, "I was just as surprised as you are, but I'm glad nonetheless. She was a lot more hesitant than Aylin was. Do you want some tea?"

"Tea would be lovely, actually." I walk over to replace the vase of flowers I brought last time which are already starting to wilt, "Thank you."

He proceeds to take two teacups out and fills the kettle, "I remember Aylin bringing me my car keys the day she turned sixteen and made me teach her."

I smile slightly, struggling to keep my eyes open as I listen to him share more stories about her.

"You look tired."

"Work's been rough, but isn't it always?" I brush it off.

"Don't overwork yourself.  You don't wanna end up like me with a stent for my heart and chronic medication." He places a hand to his chest as he glances my way.

My gaze flickers to the ashtray with a massive cigar burning away; the source of the smoke trail I picked up on earlier.

I look his way again, raising a brow at him. Knowingly, he quickly kills it then turns around to grab a box of teabags.

"I'm not a chainsmoker anymore, so that's an improvement." He tells me, "It's not so easy quitting cold turkey, Zayn."

"I know. I've been trying to kick the habit for some time now myself." I inform him, "I'm not judging you, sir."

Once he's poured the water in each cup, he walks over to the TV room, still going on about smoking while I quickly add a teaspoon of sugar before joining him.

He takes a seat on the leather couch, patting the space next to him for me. Though it's probably been under ten minutes, it feels drawled out. I'm dreading being alone with him for much longer, but I should probably cease this moment before they get back anyway.

He switches the TV on, lowering the volume of his Turkish show that Aylin said he's obsessed with. I expect him to speak, but he sips on his piping hot beverage and sits back.

I blow into mine, but since it's still steaming, I sit back and try focusing on the subtitles.

For a brief moment, I feel myself doze off when I plant my cheek against the cool leather of the couch, but I quickly sit up straight again to keep myself awake. I knew my busy days and nights would catch up with me eventually.