49- middle-ground

"I will take your pain and put it on my heart, I won't hesitate, just tell me where to start" 🎶

-

Aylin's POV

"What a lot of people don't appreciate about actuaries is the amount of time we spend looking at data and predicting future events." Scott goes on about his job, not giving anyone else in the room the chance to talk, not even Maria's parents before they left. I bet that's why they left.

I'm getting more and more pissed off by the second, especially since the only reason he's talking about his job is because I mentioned something about mine. I knew Zayn wanted to step in once Scott cut me off, but I told him to let it go since Maria herself looks mortified.

Currently, I'm sitting by myself as I stuff my face with the treats Maria and I set out on the table for us. Zayn's already expressed his dislike for Scott, so I'm not mad about it. It's hard to do anything else but swoon over him as he holds baby Ana.

The only thing making this tolerable for me is the treats, and for Zayn, Ana is an excuse to not sit down and engage in whatever Scott's on about. I don't care for anything that comes out of his mouth, so I keep my attention on Zayn who's walking around the living room, pointing at random objects and showing it to Ana.

She stares at him in awe the entire time as he lifts his brows and pulls absurd faces which could even make me laugh. With his back to me now, I look away briefly, only to realize Scott is still whining about how frustrating his job can get and how nobody understands. I roll my eyes.

Suddenly, Zayn erupts in laughter along with Ana's giggles. The entire room goes silent as we look their way.

"What is going on over there?" Maria asks, clearly amused.

"She must think I'm funny." Zayn hands Ana the teddy bear sitting above the fireplace, "Want to go to mummy?" He brings her closer to Maria, but Ana clings onto Zayn, "Or not."

"That's your baby now." Maria jokes.

"She's sweet now, but when it's bed time..." Scott shakes his head and holds his arms outward, "Come here, angel."

Zayn forces a smile as he hands her over, then sits down beside me again with his arm around me, "I'm over this." He says to me subtly before kissing my cheek.

"Me too." I whisper back, placing my hand to his knee, "Sorry."

"You two should make your own." Scott comments. Though it's not malicious, I can't help but feel annoyed.

"We have dogs. That's enough for now." I respond, but by the look Zayn's giving me, I quickly realize my slip-up, "Zayn has dogs. They're cute, but a handful."

"She's just mad that the one bit her." He chimes in, then directs his attention to Maria, "How's motherhood been treating you?" He asks, which I know he did purposefully as to not involve Scott into the conversation.

"I'm tired all the time, but you know, couldn't be happier." She smiles fondly at Ana.

He smiles back, then looks at Ana too who's now eating a cookie. There's a noticeable glimmer in Zayn's eyes since he held her, clearly showing his adoration for kids. Every time I think I can't love him more, he somehow proves me wrong. He's good with parents, babies and pets. Is there anything this man can't do?

With the impressive look Maria gave me earlier when Ana was all smiles, I could tell she thought the same.

"I'm getting kinda hungry." She speaks up, "Should we order in?"