37- shot down

Aylin's POV

For the first time since my second year of college, I forgot to set an alarm. Luckily, my biological clock was reliable enough to wake me up fifteen minutes later- though it was still a rush.

I couldn't style my hair as I wanted to, so I definitely look like I rushed. However, I made it in time and now I'm currently looking through the breakfast options in the cafeteria since I didn't get a chance to do any meal prep.

While eyeing the yoghurts, I see two palms quickly closing in over my eyes, but I already know who it is- the smell of cigarettes is a dead give away; besides, no one else would even dare to touch my face.

"Guess who?"

"Hmm. Could it be..." I play along, "Lucas?"

"AKA the guy you haven't texted all weekend and was worried sick, you dumb ass." He finally lets go, so I turn on my heel to face him.

"I'm sorry." I apologize, genuinely feeling bad that he was worrying. We made a rule to always check on each other every weekend, so I definitely messed up, "Won't happen again. I'm so sorry I had you worried." I step forward to give him a hug.

"It was just unlike you." He wraps his arms around me, "I was tempted to call Zayn up until I remembered that I don't even have his number. How was your weekend with him?"

I step back and turn to view my options again, "Honestly... amazing." I look up at him, "I needed it so bad.

"Did you two make babies?" He teases.

I roll my eyes, "Shut up, Luke."

"What did you guys do? Where'd you stay? I wanna know everything."

Once I've bought my yoghurt cup, we walk down the corridors and get to chatting, "We did all the touristy stuff. Weather was great, but I gotta show you where we stayed. It was in the woods, but it wasn't an ordinary cabin."

When I pull my phone from my pocket to show Luke some photos, there's an Instagram notification from an hour ago showing that I've been tagged in a photo by Zayn.

As I click it, we step into an elevator and Luke leans in close to get a good view as well. It's the picture he took of us on the plane, but Luke takes the liberty of swiping himself. There's a few more attached; one of the lodge, one I wasn't even aware of where we're both sat in our robes, playing pool. Then there's one of just me, eating ice-cream with waterfront in the background, followed by another selfie of us coffee tasting where Zayn deliberately pulls his best disgusted face.

Luke scrolls down some more to view the caption which reads, "Lovely weekend with the loveliest woman. Aww."

My heart pounds in my chest at his sweet words. There's no way I'd ever get used to the way he's capable of making me feel with the simplest of gestures.

"You guys are adorable." Luke hangs his arm around my shoulder, "That looked like a lot of fun."

"It was. I..." with a sigh, I look at my friend and say, "I'm so in love with him, Luke.." I confess to him through a laugh, "Like it's crazy."

He pretends to choke upon hearing me say that, "Did you just L word? Does he know?"

"Yeah, we exchanged the I love you's on the Great Wheel." I continue gushing, "Zayn's just great. He's the best."

"Well, he let me play video games and made me an omelette when I stayed over, so I definitely approve of this." He smiles, "I'm happy you're happy."

The elevator doors open, so Luke and I part ways after agreeing to catch up over lunch. I make my way to James first thing so he can inform me whether he's sorted this crap out yet or if I have to take matters into my own hands.