41- expectations

Zayn's POV

"How are you doing today, buddy?" I ruffle Max's chestnut coat before putting down his bowls of fresh food and water, "You tired, huh? That makes two of us."

Sierra crouches down beside me, running a hand through his coat as well, a sad smile on her face, "He's been here for ages."

"I know." I sigh. Most kids want the puppies, which is great, but it breaks my heart when a good dog like Max is still here.

"I have good news though." She looks my way again, "He's getting adopted."

My eyes widen with surprise, "What? By who!?"

"Me." She smiles, "Well, for my granddad. He loves dogs."

"That's great!"

"Isn't it?" She grins.

"I'm gonna miss you." I hug Max whose tail is still wagging after his walk with Sierra, "But I'm happy for you. You're gonna be a great companion, aren't you?"

She chuckles, "Go to the clinic, Zayn. You're needed there."

"I'm so tired." I fake sob.

"Suck it up, big boy." She stands up and extends her hand to help me up.

Once I'm up, I leave it to her and the rest of the staff to see to their duties before walking out where a school bus full of hyperactive kids are staring at me. Every once in a while, there'll be field trips to our adoption center and the kids would do volunteer work such as cleaning cages, bathing them, walking, grooming and playing with them. Sadly, I won't be one of the veterinarians involved today, but on the bright side, there's always an increase in adoptions when there's a visit of this quantity. Warms my heart.

I wave to them briefly and smile when they wave back before heading to the clinic to start my day. First thing I do is greet my colleagues and the next is to check my phone.  And of course, there's no text from her... yet.

Fair enough, she must've just woken up and Aylin's known to be shīt with her phone anyway, so it shouldn't be too much of a bother... but it is. It's going to bother me all day and I know it.

I inhale deeply before switching my phone to silent as to not anticipate her alert all day. Knowing her, she'll probably only reach out during her lunch hour, so I should just enjoy my day to the utmost before worrying about that situation too much.

...

"You could either medicate her yourself or let her stay the night for us to examine her." I inform the biker guy with regards to his chihuahua, "But if symptoms persist or worsen, don't hesitate to bring her in." I hand him the cage, "As soon as possible." I emphasize.

"Will do." He smiles and slides his shades on before taking the cage, "Thank you. Have a nice day."

"You too." I take my glasses off and squeeze my eyes shut since it feels as if it's beginning to strain. God, do I hate tension headaches.

On my way out, I remove my gloves and grab a glass of water to down a painkiller. What helps is the view of those kids in the distance who's still having a ball of a time with the pets, giving love to the older ones too.

"Are you a veterinarian?" I hear a squeaky voice ask me, so I look down where two adorable twin girls are looking up at me.

I smile, "Why yes, I am."

"Do you eat meat?"

I frown slightly, but a smile twitches on my lips shortly after, "Huh? I'm a veterinarian, not a vegetarian."