48- competition

-2 weeks later-

Zayn's POV

*Aylin: When will you be back?

*Zayn: seeing last patient now x

*Aylin: Can I stay at yours tonight?

I find myself smiling. Despite giving her a key and clarifying that she's allowed to go there whenever she wants, she'd still ask for my permission. It's not necessary at all, but I do find it utterly adorable.

*Zayn: you know you don't have to ask

These working Saturday shifts aren't the best, but they have their blessings other than being able to help my patients. It also makes Aylin want more quality time, so she's been sleeping over every consecutive weekend.

*Zayn: i thought you were still at mine?

When I left this morning, she was still fast asleep. Usually she'd just be getting out of bed by the time I get back home at around two.

*Aylin: Your dogs were all over me, so I went to the drug store and also decided to stock up your fridge

*Aylin: You were out of juice, milk, eggs, cereal, etc.

I chuckle. Oh, Aylin. She probably wrote up her own grocery list while she was there, probably cussing me in her head for not being organized.

*Aylin: And you had one slice of bread left. It was moldy. Disgusting.

*Zayn: oopsy

*Zayn: Thank u my love xx

*Zayn: I owe you one

Once my cigarette is done, I stomp it and toss it in the bin before heading back inside to slip on my gloves and get back to business.

"You got gum?" I ask Sierra, who gives me a look before popping one in my mouth for me.

"I thought you quit."

I sigh, "Why's everyone on my back about it? It's like my first one in days."

"Mhm." She eyes me, "Maybe if you stopped saying 'last one' after each cigarette, we'd take you seriously."

"Just allow the next patient in, Sierra." I walk towards the free room on my right.

"Lucky!" I hear her call out, "Room three."

Before the owner steps through the door, I spit the gum out in the bin and switch my phone to silent.

In a matter of seconds, the fluffiest Chow Chow enters the examination room, followed by his owner with big, dark curls and distinctive freckles on her face. She's probably a head taller than me and I think I might know her.

"Jones." She points at herself, probably reading my confused expression, "The teacher."

Ms. Jones... Lucky... yes!

"Got it." I smile slightly, "Yeah, I haven't seen Lucky in a while and you looked different when you were here with the kids."

"Yeah, well it's Saturday, so I'm allowed to wear heels and have my hair down. Well, up. Those kids would paints the tips or pull on my hooped earrings."

I chuckle, "Kids."

"I see you did something different with your hair too." She points out.

"Yeah," I run a hand over my short hair that's finally grown back a bit, "I was hairless not too long ago. You missed out on laughing at me."