52- bad timing

Zayn's POV

"You wanna quit your job?" I repeat since I'm unsure whether I heard that right.

She nods in response, on the verge of tears again, so I pull her in for a hug as I process everything. Aylin talking about quitting her job is the last thing I thought I'd ever hear, but since she's crying, it must have been bad.

"You wanna talk about it?"

"I got demoted." She buries her face into my neck where tears drip. She sniffs, trying to collect herself, but I'm too shocked, so I push her back at her shoulders to look at her.

"What!?" I frown, "Why?"

"Apparently I've been slacking. Well, according to Teagan." She melts into my embrace again, so I hold her tight.

Of course that prick has something to do with it. I already know all I need to know now without her having to elaborate. That man has been out to get Aylin ever since she turned him down.

"That's bullshït." I say more to myself, "James is the one who told me. I got so upset, I puked, so they told me to take the rest of the day off."

"You should've called." I caress her back, struggling to keep my cool when I know Teagan is the cause of this. I'm not surprised that he'd do this, but I am mad, "So what time did you leave work?"

"I'm not even sure. I just sat in my car the entire time, then came here."

"Fúck." I run a hand over my face. All I want to do now is sit here with her for comfort, but I already have three others guests inside who's waiting for me.

I'm conflicted over whether I should break my good news to her or not. I don't want it to seem like I'm rubbing this in her face, but I want to share my accomplishments with her. Talk about poor timing.

"I just don't know what to do from this point, you know?" She lifts her head, "Before you, my career was the only thing I was ever really sure about. All I ever knew. Now it's like everything's just falling apart and I have no idea what direction I'm going in anymore."

God, do I feel like shît. I shouldn't feel like shít, but I do. It's the guilt. I have no reason to feel guilty, but I do. Do I really want to rub my achievements in her face at a time like this? That wasn't my intention at all. Celebrating with those closest to me was all tonight was supposed to be and now there's this to deal with.

"I know, I know." I divert my gaze from her, unable to look her in her teary eyes.

She reaches for a tissue and blows her nose, then puffs her cheeks as a heavy breath expels from her.

"You wanna stay in here?" I inquire, hoping that it's a yes. I'd rather tell her later, one on one.

"No, that would be rude. I can suck it up for now." She sits back, wiping her cheeks, "Didn't expect to see Clinton here." She changes the subject, "Haven't seen him in a while."

"Yeah, me neither." I cup her cheek, "You don't have to come out there. I can just make something up."

"Is it a special occasion?" She inquires.

I suck in a breath, then nod, "Kinda. Uh... I don't want to tip-toe around you, but..." I trail off, trying to find the words as to it come off as insensitive.

"What?" She asks, placing her hand over mine that's still on her cheek.

"I gathered everyone here because I've been chosen to work with this big-shot veterinarian who'll be mentoring me through this publishing deal." I let it out, "You're the first to know. I... it's shítty timing, I know, but I didn't want to take you by surprise out there, so..." I bite my lip, anticipating her reaction, though her blank expression gives nothing away.