27- melancholy

Zayn's POV

After Aylin left, the emptiness set in all over again.

It's inexplicable. I've been in this hole before, but there has always been a reason. That's what made it easier to get out. Talking through it and understanding how to move past it, but this time, I can't quite put my finger on what's bothering me. It's like nothing, but everything, all at the same time.

A sudden knock on the door pulls me out of thought, so I lift my tired body from my bed and kill my blunt to save for later. As I walk towards the door, I switch on the lights throughout the apartment as to not look like some creep that's just sitting in the dark by himself.

Upon opening the door, my eyes widen with shock at the familiar face before me.

"Aliyah?" I smile slightly. Though I've only ever been on two dates with her, we used to talk quite a bit in the past before she got back with her ex. I sort of liked her, but wasn't too mad as she compensated by introducing me to her cousin, Audrey.

"Oh my God!" She beams, "I thought I'd just be saying hi to the new neighbour, but I didn't think it'd be you. Look at you!"

I chuckle, "Well, I wasn't expecting it to be you either. What a pleasant surprise. How are you?" I ask, holding my arms out to hug her.

"I've been great. Just got back from work." She sighs as she gives me a brief hug. All I remember about Aliyah is that she's a nurse and her boyfriend, or now ex boyfriend is a football player, "I don't think you should be smoking that in here." She chuckles.

"I was out on the balcony." I explain, "I don't do it as much as I used to."

Instead of dwelling on it, she says, "It's been a while. Have you finished your studies?"

"Yeah." I place my hand on the open door, unsure whether or not I should invite her in. I don't want her thinking I'm impolite, but at the same time, I don't want her getting the wrong impression since we've had something brief in the past. It's been years though and I'd be lying if I said I'm not glad to see someone I know, "Want some coffee or something? We could catch up for a bit?"

She looks at me for a few seconds then smiles, "Uh... okay. I can't be too long though. My husband made dinner tonight." She mentions as she steps inside.

Closing the door behind us, I gesture towards the sofa while I head to the kitchen, "Husband? As in Michael?" Also known as the ex she stopped seeing me for.

"Yeah." She smiles, wiggling her ring finger to show off the diamonds, "What about you? Seeing anyone?" She tries to fish out.

"Audrey and I haven't seen each other in a few months, Aliyah." I give her a look as I busy myself with the coffee, "How many sugars do you take?"

"Two, please." She responds, "I wasn't implying Audrey." She chuckles, "I'm just asking if you're seeing anyone at all."

"I am." I respond with a smile, "She's my aunt's neighbour. I just moved out of there last week."

"Oooh. Well, you're exactly how I remember you."

"That's a good thing, I hope." I pour boiled water into my teacup to let the teabag steep for a bit.

"It is." She smiles.

"So any kids?" I inquire. I recall us texting about that jokingly after our date. Back then, she mentioned how she doesn't want any in her 20's. Much like her cousin,  she was known to be free-spirited. I admired that about both of them, but at the same time, our needs and wants didn't align for the most part which deterred me from pursuing anything deeper with either of them.